I am cracking my own WPA. I tried to put my key in a wordlist but it didn't work. So instead I decided to use one of the keys in the wordlist and it still did not work. I am capturing the WPA handshake (at least that's what airodump tells me). I didn't have to deauthenticate it, as soon as I started sniffing it says it captured it. So I closed it and tried cracking it with aircrack and it goes right through the whole dictionary and doesn't find it. I've ran it a couple times with different keys in use. Also I have all network managers disabled. I'm using backtrack. Here are all my steps:

Code:
airmon-ng stop mon0
Output:
Code:
Interface       Chipset         Driver

wlan0           Atheros         ath5k - [phy0]
mon0            Atheros         ath5k - [phy0] (removed)
\

Code:
airmon-ng start wlan0
Code:
Interface       Chipset         Driver

wlan0           Atheros         ath5k - [phy0]
                                (monitor mode enabled on mon0)
Code:
airodump-ng -c 11 -w letsgetcrackinyo --bssid 00:18:39:65:82:85 mon0
after about 10 seconds I get a four way handshake from it

Code:
 CH 11 ][ Elapsed: 8 s ][ 2010-08-02 09:07 ][ WPA handshake: 00:18:39:65:82:85

BSSID              PWR RXQ  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH  MB   ENC  CIPHER AUTH ESSID

00:18:39:65:82:85  -44 100       85       41    1  11  54   WPA  TKIP   PSK  wpatest

BSSID              STATION            PWR   Rate    Lost  Packets  Probes

00:18:39:65:82:85  00:1D:FE:C9:4D:2F  -68   54 -54      1        7
so now I open up another terminal and type:

Code:
aircrack-ng -w /pentest/passwords/wordlists/darkc0de.lst letsgetcrackinyo-01.cap
then it begins cracking. The key I am currently using is in the wordlist. I didn't append it either (although I did try it with another key and it wasn't successful). I'm using a password already in the list so there is no chance of carriage return problems or anything like that. It goes through the list and then starts over again. No error messages or anything it just doesn't match.

Also I tried it on cowpatty and the result is not successful either.