Thread: trouble cracking WEP on my WiFi

Just burned his ISO

Default trouble cracking WEP on my WiFi

Before anyone asks I have done my research and I have read tons of documentation but I'm still having problems.

I am using backtrack 4 booted from USB, on a HP notebook. I checked and my wireless card is compatible. I've been trying to crack my own WEP for days now and today it finally worked for no explainable reason, eventually I tried to do it again and then it didn't work. The problem I'm having is that aireplay-ng does not replay ARP packets, because it doesn't recieve them I guess. One time all of a sudden it just flooded the terminal with success and then it worked. I just don't understand why it worked or why it is not working now. I understand what ARP is but I don't get how to send them. I've tried doing the trick where you ping a non-existant computer on a wired computer. Does anyone know what the problem is? By the way if anyone wants to know the commands I used I used this guide: simple_wep_crack [Aircrack-ng]. Thanks.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: trouble cracking WEP on my WiFi

Did you try the troubleshooting steps in the above guide, and also the guide "I'm injecting but IV's don't increase"?
    Pretty much everything in the docs, is the same that we can tell you here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Wep cracking problem !

I had the same problem,i was using a netgear wgv111v2 adapter,i put it to one side and got a alfa network card awu036h,and upgraded the omni aerial..oh happy days

most adapters are about 15 to 20 pound anyway,spend a little more and get the best there is..you will not regret it...wait till you see the results

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Did you try the troubleshooting steps in the above guide, and also the guide "I'm injecting but IV's don't increase"?
    Pretty much everything in the docs, is the same that we can tell you here.
    That isn't the problem I'm having. There is documentation about the problem I'm having with ARP but it doesn't solve it. It says to ping a non-existant local ip on a wired PC. I tried that and it doesn't work, maybe I'm not doing it right but It seems fairly straightforward. It's under the section "Generating ARPs". All I'm asking is how can I generate ARP packets? I just need to figure out how to make it happen, I know someone needs to be using a computer on the WAP but I've tried just browsing the web and they do not seem to be generating any ARPs.

Quote Originally Posted by binbashLetsgetsmashed View Post
    I had the same problem,i was using a netgear wgv111v2 adapter,i put it to one side and got a alfa network card awu036h,and upgraded the omni aerial..oh happy days

most adapters are about 15 to 20 pound anyway,spend a little more and get the best there is..you will not regret it...wait till you see the results
    So you're saying it's because of my wireless card? Why would that affect ARPs??

Just burned his ISO

I fixed it MYSELF it turns out I had a network manager running that was interrupting it. If anyone else is having this problem I suggest you read the airodump-ng doc, because obviously you won't find any help on this OH SO HELPFUL place. Thanks for nothing guys

Just burned his ISO

there's a reason networking is not enabled on bootup by default in this linux distro.

The people in this forum are very helpful, in that they will help you to learn to help yourself. Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by trackdatback View Post
    I fixed it MYSELF it turns out I had a network manager running that was interrupting it. If anyone else is having this problem I suggest you read the airodump-ng doc, because obviously you won't find any help on this OH SO HELPFUL place. Thanks for nothing guys
    You're actually surprised that people don't want to donate their free time to read and interpret basic tool documentation for you? Or is it that you believe that posting here entitles you to an answer, even when you have done something to cause the problem you're having yourself and forgot to mention it when asking?

I especially like the ungrateful "thanks for nothing" even after people did choose to respond to your post, despite the fact that the advice to read the documentation apparently did help. Heres a news flash for you - you're supposed to fix these types of problems by yourself. What we do here is give advice about how you can go about this (like telling you to "read the documentation" if you obviously haven't done this). No one just fixes problems for you unless you are paying them for the service.

Now stop being such an ingrate and learn some manners.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    You're actually surprised that people don't want to donate their free time to read and interpret basic tool documentation for you? Or is it that you believe that posting here entitles you to an answer, even when you have done something to cause the problem you're having yourself and forgot to mention it when asking?

I especially like the ungrateful "thanks for nothing" even after people did choose to respond to your post, despite the fact that the advice to read the documentation apparently did help. Heres a news flash for you - you're supposed to fix these types of problems by yourself. What we do here is give advice about how you can go about this (like telling you to "read the documentation" if you obviously haven't done this). No one just fixes problems for you unless you are paying them for the service.

Now stop being such an ingrate and learn some manners.
    The amount of documentation I read about this issue is hard to even imagine. Don't act like I didn't try to find it. The real problem is where it is located. It's in airodump-ng instead of aireplay. Perhaps you could at least tell me where to find it. I read the documentation but you can't expect me to go though meaningless garbage. I would never have known about this except for ONE post I found on a DIFFERENT forum about this. Also. You find it so easy to post now but you didn't have much to say when you were staring at your screen days ago saying "DUHHHH im not gonna help because it doesn't really concern me". What is the forum for? I don't expect people to just tell me information for nothing...EXCEPT WHEN IT'S ADVERTISED!!!!! Is this a place to help people or a place to show off how cool you are. It doesn't seem to be the first one. If no one is gonna give anything useful then don't make me waste my time.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

The amount of documentation I read about this issue is hard to even imagine. Don't act like I didn't try to find it. The real problem is where it is located. It's in airodump-ng instead of aireplay. Perhaps you could at least tell me where to find it. I read the documentation but you can't expect me to go though meaningless garbage. I would never have known about this except for ONE post I found on a DIFFERENT forum about this. Also. You find it so easy to post now but you didn't have much to say when you were staring at your screen days ago saying "DUHHHH im not gonna help because it doesn't really concern me". What is the forum for? I don't expect people to just tell me information for nothing...EXCEPT WHEN IT'S ADVERTISED!!!!! Is this a place to help people or a place to show off how cool you are. It doesn't seem to be the first one. If no one is gonna give anything useful then don't make me waste my time.

Let me help you understand something here because you are starting to piss me off.
    First and foremost you don't like the way things work here then you can A. take it up per PM to the person(s) involved or you can B. log out and go elsewhere, or C. Talk to one of the moderators or Administrators per PM.
    But no you decided to act like some little punk with one of my fellow moderators. This is totally uncalled for. Anyone that answers a question here does so for free. Further as I told you in the first post (and resolved this entire thread) read the documentation. The aircrack-ng guys went to a lot of trouble to put up and maintain quality info. It is not our problem or concern that you couldn't be bothered to read and understand it.
    As for the quality of help, people generally do not help and only get discouraged when a post shows a total lack of effort on part of the poster and or contains a question that can easily be answered by either reading the docs or searching google.
    So check in your PM box for a special note I have left for you and review the rules you agreed to uphold as a member here.
    Your future compliance is appreciated.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

The amount of documentation I read about this issue is hard to even imagine. Don't act like I didn't try to find it. The real problem is where it is located. It's in airodump-ng instead of aireplay. Perhaps you could at least tell me where to find it. I read the documentation but you can't expect me to go though meaningless garbage.
    Obviously you didn't read enough the first time around if you managed to find it later on. You searched a bit, didn't find anything and posted here. Then you searched some more, and found what you were looking for. The information was obviously out there for the finding, and you found it. Good on you. However, throwing blame on people here just because someone who had experienced your exact problem before did not come along and tell you exactly how to fix it within your chosen timeframe is completely unreasonable.

In addition, the link between aireplay and aircrack-ng is not difficult to ascertain. When I Googled 'aireplay' just then, the first result pointed to the aircrack-ng wiki. You even linked to the aircrack-ng wiki in your own post. Not exactly a difficult connection to make, and, in case you hadn't realised, this is also not something we have any control over, since we are not the aircrack-ng developers or the maintainers of their wiki.

And I dont expect you to do anything, including reading lots of "garbage" documentation. It's your choice. If you want to be able to use the tool effectively, you need to understand it, and to do that you need to read and experiment. If you don't want to spend your time reading documentation, then you can choose not to use the tool. Don't blame us because we don't want to read the documentation for you, or do your troubleshooting for you.

Also. You find it so easy to post now but you didn't have much to say when you were staring at your screen days ago saying "DUHHHH im not gonna help because it doesn't really concern me".
    Actually, I didn't notice this thread until the time when I responded. This forum is a fairly busy one and I don't always have time to read and respond to every thread as soon as it is posted. You have also apparently completely missed the point that I was trying to make before, which is that you are not entitled to have someone personally solve your problem for you just because you posted here.

And I think its fair to say that I have provided a lot more help to people here than you have, so I don't see where you get off in claiming that I decide not to help people just because it doesn't concern me. Have a look through my post history if you think differently.

What is the forum for? I don't expect people to just tell me information for nothing...EXCEPT WHEN IT'S ADVERTISED!!!!! Is this a place to help people or a place to show off how cool you are. It doesn't seem to be the first one. If no one is gonna give anything useful then don't make me waste my time.
    As I mentioned before, this forum is here to assist people who are willing to help themselves. We provide assistance on a best efforts basis, in our own free time, as volunteers, because we enjoy it. If you are expecting your problems to be solved for you, on time, 100% of the time in this environment, you are going to be disappointed. If you were paying for the service of having your problems fixed, you could expect this type of service, but when you bring those expectations into a volunteer environment, where people are doing this for fun, then you just end up looking like an ungrateful sod when you get all huffy that people didn't do what you wanted them to.

Anyway, no one is forcing you to "waste" your time here, so if you don't like it you can choose to go elsewhere.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.