Thread: Java web application - reverse shell problem

Just burned his ISO

Post Java web application - reverse shell problem

Can someone help me with an issue I'm having with a java web app. It has a sql injection vulnerability and I am able to upload a reverse shell jsp file. When I try and browse to the file I get two errors, the first is

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/BuildListener)

and every other time after that I get

java.lang.NullPointerException
    sun.misc.URLClassPath$3.run(Unknown Source)
    java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

My knowledge of java is limited but this looks like a security setting designed to prevent me from browsing to the jsp file, is there any way to get around this problem?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Default Re: Java web application - reverse shell problem

How old is the reverse shell code? Have you tried it locally?

"java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Nativ e Method)" is not a security setting stopping you browsing to anything if that`s what your thinking,

Your problem lies here "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/BuildListener)"
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Java web application - reverse shell problem

Thanks for the reply

I'm getting this error even when I try and upload the most basic of jsp files. (just printing out the current date/time)
    The shell file I'm using is quite old, but as I'm getting this error with any jsp file it suggests something else.

Findings so far:
    I've got a copy of the application running locally, and there are two other jsp files that it employs, when I amend either of them and browse to them, my changes don't appear, which suggests the application requires a restart/recompile.
    The 2 jsp files are listed in the web.xml file, which produces a sharing violation when you try and amend it, so thats a no go. (again, my knowledge of java is limited, so this might seem futile, but I'm trying everything here)
    The application allows the upload of image files, which means I can get around the 64kb issue of binary to hex conversion and upload whatever file I want.
    I have found a website that lists .jar files that has the ant/buildListener class that the first error message is complaining about, but not sure what I can/should do with this to resolve the error (I've tried uploading this to the same folder as my jsp pge, but still get the same error)
    It feels like I am 99% of the way there, (learning a lot about java on the way!). ASP and PHP allow you to push files on the fly, and from what I have read, jsp/java should allow the same, but for some reason it won't let me?