Hi. I'm new to using linux in general. Fortunately, I know a bit to go around.
Anyway, I'm trying to install the drivers for my Realtek RTL8191SU device.
I found a website with the linux drivers, downloaded them. But now I need help as to how to install them on BackTrack 3. I have BackTrack 3 on a CD-R.
So I load the Live-CD. Here are the steps that were included in the Driver.rar.
Part 1: make 8712 USB Linux driver
(1) step1: uncompress the “rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.xxxx.2010 xxxx.tar.gz” file. (in “driver” directory)
> tar zxvf rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.20100 226.tar.gz
(2) step2: make 8712 USB driver module
(3) step3: clean the operation environment
(4) step4: insert 8712 USB modules
> insmod 8712u.ko
(5) step5: enable wlan0 interface
> ifconfig wlan0 up
(6) step6: setup IP address
> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.100
step1: Site Survey
> iwlist wlan0 scan
(2) step2: Connect to AP
> iwconfig wlan0 essid “xxx”
I'm not too sure how to install these drivers on to back-track. I can open the bash command window, after that i'm clueless. If someone can tell me exactly what to do, that'd be great. I want to start cracking in to some networks.