Thread: vmware help?

Just burned his ISO

Default vmware help?

ok so i got back track 4 and i got vmware tools im running on xp and im booting it...it works and everything but i try to mount cd drive for Metasploit Attack Method and i type cd/pentest/exploits/framework3. and it says directory not found...what do i do...if you have team viewer and stuff it would be very helpful. thanks

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: vmware help?

Quote Originally Posted by hackmeplox View Post
    ok so i got back track 4 and i got vmware tools im running on xp and im booting it...it works and everything but i try to mount cd drive for Metasploit Attack Method and i type cd/pentest/exploits/framework3. and it says directory not found...what do i do...if you have team viewer and stuff it would be very helpful. thanks

Well first of all you don't seem to know what you are doing. Second your command is not a command. A command to change directories would need the initial space after the command. # cd /directory
    Third this command would only change you to the given directory it will not start metasploit or run any of it's subsequent commands.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hackmeplox View Post
    I might be able to help here. Metasploit will not run just if you just change directories to it. There's a specific command that has to be run... I'll leave you to find it. If you already know what that command is, know that you do not have to change directories to run it. Also, try using the KDE -- I found when I could not access a program from the command line, searching through the directories visually helped a lot!

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

or if you want to be super noob and just use the kde menu to find it under backtrack > penetration

you can also use the locate command as well
    Last edited by gunrunr; 07-31-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunr View Post
    or if you want to be super noob and just use the kde menu to find it under backtrack > penetration

You could do that, but he wouldn't learn anything out of that. It's a lot better if he learns to use the console. Trust me, I used to do that. I had to get used to using the console after using the KDE for a long time...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mohanbharath View Post
    You could do that, but he wouldn't learn anything out of that. It's a lot better if he learns to use the console. Trust me, I used to do that. I had to get used to using the console after using the KDE for a long time...
    So if the OP won't learn anything by using the built in menu system what is he/she going to learn from searching through a bunch of folders using Konqueror ?
    Which is apart of KDE. I am pretty sure that gunrunr was being sarcastic in his post.
    I mean if you are going for the "give a little lesson on linux" then might I suggest that we point the OP to the man page of a command, in this case # man cd ?

In addition in your above post you stated "If you already know what that command is, know that you do not have to change directories to run it." Well that is only going to be true if the command is in the $PATH, otherwise it won't work.
    Now if you meant, if you know where the command is then you don't have to change directories to run it. Then you would be correct.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-30-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Konqueror and Shell have a search function.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.