Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa AWUS036H using rtl8187

Hybrid View

Default Alfa AWUS036H using rtl8187

Hi,

Does any one have the above USB adapter working sucessfully? (Alfa AWUS036H)

I'd be very interested in hearing any success stories for either BT1 OR BT2! So far I've found that:

I have problems associating with routers. And a few other niggles

1) I'm using BT2 Final in a VMware machine, running as a Live CD.

2) When trying to get the Alfa to monitor mode using airmon, it can take approx 2-3 attemps, and sometimes last 20+secs before the system responds back. This is using "airmon-ng start wlan0"

3) I then use airoscript to get started (having fixed the /home/root directory problem ie. create it before I start) and set the Alfa to use the fake mac.

4) I can scan, I can see networks, I can select networks with and without clients associated.

5) When I attack, I can see the aireplay trying to associate with the AP, over and over and over again. It never does. I'm 5 meters away.

6) Now and again I do get an ARP packet, and the screen shows me "injecting" immediately. However because I'm not associated, I'm not going to see an IVS increasing, and so I'm not sure if it really is injecting or not.

Closing down BT2, restarting with my Dlink G122 B1, has me associated, and injecting in seconds (and only take 1 sec to respond when I set it to monitor).

Hope someone is having a better time with it!

Just burned his ISO

I've got one running under BT2 on my HDD. I didn't actually use the airmon scripts since the all the aircrack utilities seem to set it to monitor mode automatically. If you want to know for sure if injection is working or not, run Wireshark. Personally, I haven't messed with airoscript yet, just doing things manually. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment

This is off subject but where are you getting these adapters from ??
    I have found a few places on line and they want me to send a inquiry for a price...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by buggs187 View Post
    This is off subject but where are you getting these adapters from ??
    I have found a few places on line and they want me to send a inquiry for a price...
    Here is where I got mine. HTH.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pilotsnipes View Post
    Hi,

Does any one have the above USB adapter working sucessfully? (Alfa AWUS036H)

I'd be very interested in hearing any success stories for either BT1 OR BT2! So far I've found that:

I have problems associating with routers. And a few other niggles

1) I'm using BT2 Final in a VMware machine, running as a Live CD.

2) When trying to get the Alfa to monitor mode using airmon, it can take approx 2-3 attemps, and sometimes last 20+secs before the system responds back. This is using "airmon-ng start wlan0"

3) I then use airoscript to get started (having fixed the /home/root directory problem ie. create it before I start) and set the Alfa to use the fake mac.

4) I can scan, I can see networks, I can select networks with and without clients associated.

5) When I attack, I can see the aireplay trying to associate with the AP, over and over and over again. It never does. I'm 5 meters away.

6) Now and again I do get an ARP packet, and the screen shows me "injecting" immediately. However because I'm not associated, I'm not going to see an IVS increasing, and so I'm not sure if it really is injecting or not.

Closing down BT2, restarting with my Dlink G122 B1, has me associated, and injecting in seconds (and only take 1 sec to respond when I set it to monitor).

Hope someone is having a better time with it!
    Hi

i've got the same problem, i can do anything but I can't associate with the AP.... did anyone found a solution? I'm using Backtrack 2.0 Final.

Default Getting there

Ok - This is a fantastic USB device, the range on it, is amazing. However there are some serious bugs in the drivers I think that let it down.

Here's where I've gotten to:

I'm using the BT2 iso in a vmware machine.

1) I launch flux (or startx) and go into a terminal window.
    2) I ensure that I edit airoscript.sh is modified to use /tmp as the dump directory, "wlan0" as the default device, AND I change the fake-mac address in the script to "00:01:02:03:04:05"
    3) I HAVE TO DO THIS FIRST BEFORE RUNNING THE SCRIPT:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
    If I run the airoscript and try to change the mac from there the USB device will NOT work for association.

4) Now I run airoscript. Here's the next bug.....after I scan for networks, and select a particular AP, I only get ONE chance to crack it. When I select the attack option (3) and say use fake-association, 9 out of 10 times I will associate with the AP and all will be well.
    5) If the association fails, or I decide to select and attack another (second) AP, the USB device is useless! It fails to work! The only way around it is to quit airoscript, and do the following
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    (remove the usb cable from computer for 2 secs and replace)
    (Wait 20secs for device to be recognised)
    airoscript.sh
    and start again.

I have to do a very hard reset after every association attempt by the USB device - even if it was successful or not, it always requires a reset to try again.

Also, when I get injecting with the Alfa, I get a statistic of around 250-320 ivs/sec on the screen, however it feels a LOT slower than that. Ie. At that speed I should get 1000 ivs in around 4 secs. If I use my watch it takes closer to 12secs. Why?

Also! On my laptop I have exactly the same setup. When I am injecting (the same AP as before) it can show as low as 10 ivs/sec. As soon as I run the crack command (4) from airoscript and leave that window running in the background my ivs/sec shoot up to 300 again!!!

It's almost as if the extra cycle taken by the computer in processing the aircrack-window, allows the other windows (inject/capture/associate) more time to get their things done and work more efficiently!

Can anyone either shed some light or know a better software driver to use etc?

Can anyone else recreate these problems too?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pilotsnipes View Post
    Ok - This is a fantastic USB device, the range on it, is amazing. However there are some serious bugs in the drivers I think that let it down.

Here's where I've gotten to:

I'm using the BT2 iso in a vmware machine.

1) I launch flux (or startx) and go into a terminal window.
    2) I ensure that I edit airoscript.sh is modified to use /tmp as the dump directory, "wlan0" as the default device, AND I change the fake-mac address in the script to "00:01:02:03:04:05"
    3) I HAVE TO DO THIS FIRST BEFORE RUNNING THE SCRIPT:
    Code:
    If I run the airoscript and try to change the mac from there the USB device will NOT work for association.

4) Now I run airoscript. Here's the next bug.....after I scan for networks, and select a particular AP, I only get ONE chance to crack it. When I select the attack option (3) and say use fake-association, 9 out of 10 times I will associate with the AP and all will be well.
    5) If the association fails, or I decide to select and attack another (second) AP, the USB device is useless! It fails to work! The only way around it is to quit airoscript, and do the following
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    (remove the usb cable from computer for 2 secs and replace)
    (Wait 20secs for device to be recognised)
    airoscript.sh
    and start again.

I have to do a very hard reset after every association attempt by the USB device - even if it was successful or not, it always requires a reset to try again.

Also, when I get injecting with the Alfa, I get a statistic of around 250-320 ivs/sec on the screen, however it feels a LOT slower than that. Ie. At that speed I should get 1000 ivs in around 4 secs. If I use my watch it takes closer to 12secs. Why?

Also! On my laptop I have exactly the same setup. When I am injecting (the same AP as before) it can show as low as 10 ivs/sec. As soon as I run the crack command (4) from airoscript and leave that window running in the background my ivs/sec shoot up to 300 again!!!

It's almost as if the extra cycle taken by the computer in processing the aircrack-window, allows the other windows (inject/capture/associate) more time to get their things done and work more efficiently!

Can anyone either shed some light or know a better software driver to use etc?

Can anyone else recreate these problems too?
    This is right. It only works one time to associate with the AP. If you type:

Code:
    rmmod r8187 && modprobe r8187
    You don't have to remove the USB Cable from the computer with this command. The IV speed is good, some APs has more speed, some less, some router don't send my any ARP's I have to use the fragmention attack. The power of my Alfa is ok.

I hope it will come a newer driver which fix all the bugs.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the info

pilotsnipes: Quick question, what specs is your laptop?

Do you have any other usb slots in use when this card is being used?

Just burned his ISO

Is there any way somebody could post a step by step tutorial on how to get this ALFA usb adapter to work. I cannot do injection with it.. for some reason. It says found APs., but "no answer" ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast