Thread: Installing and running Compiz Fusion

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing and running Compiz Fusion

Hi all,

After multiple re-installs of backtrack, cause i was trying to update it to kernel 2.6.34 and also installing the Nvidia driver, I finally got it working!

Now i want to customize it to my personal needs and first of all that means i want to install Compiz Fusion. So I've followed this tutoral but after editing /etc/rc.local i got some errors. I can't retrieve them now anymore cuz they were displayed once. But when i run "compiz" in the terminal i get the following output, and i think some thinks are not right:

Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1680x1050) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
    Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
    Checking for nVidia: present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    libccs: dlopen: /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libkconfig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

So that made me wondering if the Nvidia drivers are properly working. When i go via Settings ==> Peripherals ==> X-Server i see the following. Does some1 know why nothing refers to Nvidia?

Then when i run gksu nvidia-settings" i get this:

I don't know what is working now anymore? Can some1 help me with the following questions:

1. Is the Nvidia driver loaded and doing its job?
    2. I've edited the file /etc/rc.local but compiz fusion does not start at boot, why is this? (Maybe a command to retrieve the error code when it isn't started by boot?)

Tia.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Installing and running Compiz Fusion

Might be a good idea to start searching on google and of course the ubuntu forums, also check the nvidia docs.
    I would also take compiz out of /etc/rc.local, to see if it works normally. You can start it from the command prompt after startup.
    This can help determine if it even works at all.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-29-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Might be a good idea to start searching on google and of course the ubuntu forums, also check the nvidia docs.
    I would also take compiz out of /etc/rc.local, to see if it works normally. You can start it from the command prompt after startup.
    This can help determine if it even works at all.
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Well before I post here i try to find the solution with google or other documentation. But it's hard to find any good info about this subject. But when I'm typing this I found this thread which is exactly the problem I have and some other info. So I will look some further and post when I find any solution. Oh yeah, about the Ubuntu forums, solutions given there almost never work and people say different things. At least this is the case at the Dutch Ubuntu forum.

I've removed compiz etc from /etc/rc.local so I can solve the problem better.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

just a personal note in order for compiz to work correctly on a system it needs to have access to 3d acceleration, on most virtual machines there are issues about virtual machines addressing hardware, this is seen most often in wireless cards. There seems to be some experimental radio button or line you can type in config to enable 3d acceleration in vmware, just check the googles for it...and ubuntu's forums
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunr View Post
    just a personal note in order for compiz to work correctly on a system it needs to have access to 3d acceleration, on most virtual machines there are issues about virtual machines addressing hardware, this is seen most often in wireless cards. There seems to be some experimental radio button or line you can type in config to enable 3d acceleration in vmware, just check the googles for it...and ubuntu's forums
    Well I'm running BT not as a VM but I've installed it to my HD. So I think the problem is not adressing the hardware but more like configuring the Nvidia driver. The thread I mentioned is about the same problem so maybe I cab find the solution there.