Thread: booting issues

Just burned his ISO

Default booting issues

I posted a little while ago trying to figure out how to get bt4 going and decided that I wanted to figure it out on my own, but I can't seem to... I can't boot live persistant from a dvd image, I type startx and get a blank screen, so I tried to boot from a usb using unetbootin and I get a command line saying boot, after which if I type anything I get an invalid kernal error, so, I am doing something wrong. I can run opensuse, solaris, ubuntu kubuntu, you name it, but just can't get bt4 to work, I have tried redownloading the iso... basically anything I can think of, so maybe some of you guys could let me know where I took a wrong turn, thanks

Default Re: booting issues

Pick one of those problems and provide some more detail about it - how to reproduce, exact error messages, what you have tried so far to fix it (searches you have done, things you tried, results you got, what you learned), etc.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I have found the best way to set up and install BT4 is to use a Live DVD of BT4 to install BackTrack to a flash drive. I put a small (about 500MB) swap partition on my flash drive so I can have persistence without needing two flash drives and so it will not be hardware dependent. It works out rather well, but it lags a little sometimes, especially when multitasking, but I attribute that more to the slow speed of flash memory than to BackTrack itself. If you want to know the exact steps I used to accomplish that, feel free to shoot me a PM on here. It is simple, though, really. Just set up the flash drive like you're setting up a standard hard drive.

Just burned his ISO

nevermind, mods you can delete this thread, apparently I just had to shut down my machines for a few hours, I came back, tried both methods and it worked, detects my network and everything... no Idea what I did, but it worked

thanks anyway