Thread: ARP Problems

Default ARP Problems

Everytime I try to do an ARP request replay attack on my router I don't know what happens but airodump-ng seems to freeze and I have to restart my computer for everything to start working again. I am using an older laptop so I think it could be the problem and my wireless adapter is an ALFA with the RTL8187L.

Ok I am using the command aireplay-ng -3 -b (AP Mac) -c (Client connected Mac) mon0 , do I need to include the -h even though I didn't do a fake auth?

I did this and I got back (got 5000 ARP requests and 9000 ACKS), set 10000 packets, but I am not getting any #Data increase.
    Last edited by Mortifix; 07-27-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    I hate Google.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: ARP Problems

As to the freezing, are you running live or persistent, and where are you saving the data?
    Last edited by Gitsnik; 07-27-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: s/fake/de-/ ; you know what, it's too darn early for me to be answering questions. If you saw it, ignore it :)
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Persistent and the files are being saved to the root.
    I hate Google.

Just burned his ISO

I'm pretty new to backtrack so if I'm off base, let me know. I'm going to assume your doing simple WEP cracking, and after you bring up airodump-ng and start running aireplay-ng for an ARP replay attack is when your experiencing the problem.

You want to use the '-h' option when doing an ARP replay attack and specify your MAC address. The '-c' option specifies the Destination MAC address, you just want to specify your MAC and the BSSID of the AP. The command you should run should be
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -3 -b <bssid of ap> -h <your mac> mon0
    Check out this tutorial for more info on ARP replay attacks and aircrack-ng, and check here for the "man" page to aireplay-ng.

Also, on the destination AP try and hook up a second wireless device and do some casual internet browsing, and start a few pings. You'll notice that your #Data and ARP packets will start to increase rapidly. You should get anwhere between 100 to 500 #/sec in airodump-ng.

Just burned his ISO

I've experienced similar problems:

1. When using a LiveCD on an old Dell Latitude D820, this happens sometimes.
    2. When using a persistent USB install on a cheap xPatriot 4GB USB drive (same laptop), this happens consistently.

I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, then finally decided to install BackTrack natively on the old laptop. Everything works like a charm. Also, I decided to do my research and learn how to crack wireless using a BT4 VM with a USB antenna that supports packet injection. That's now my preferred method of doing it.

Regarding the 2nd part of your question about the command you are using; it sounds like you might want to use another laptop or wireless device to try to authenticate with the access point while you're capturing packets, then give it a minute and you'll see the numbers increase. It just depends on your lab setup; there are plenty of posts and webpages that give you information about which commands and options to use in different situations.

Hope this helps.

Just burned his ISO

Hi Mortifix,
    This link from aircrack-ng.org should help you with the arp-request_reinjection.
    hxxp://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=arp-request_reinjection

As for airodump-ng freezing it's can be due to the injecting starting in aireplay-ng.
    If airodump-ng freeze, stop airodump-ng with Ctrl+Z in the airodump shell. then restart airodump-ng again. You should see after that, airodump-ng and aireplay-ng will work without having to reboot your computer to get them working again.

Ok after playing around with it a bit the problem still happens, but I just unplug my USB wireless device and give it a minute then plug it back in and it seems to work fine until I do it again. If I don't unplug it and try to start everything over it tells me that the device has timed out. I have also tried fake auth and targeting my MAC, but I get the same results. Also, the computer I am using is an old Dell laptop as well. I think I might just try the VMware route on my good laptop and see if that makes a difference.
    I hate Google.

Just burned his ISO

try
    aireplay-ng -3 -a <Access Point MAC address> -h <Source MAC address> -x 100 mon0

With the -x option you can set the number of packets reinjected per second.

OK I am going to give that a try and see what happens.
    I hate Google.