Thread: Aircrack-ng - WPA2 - Missing Handshake

Just burned his ISO

Default Aircrack-ng - WPA2 - Missing Handshake

Hey guys, I know yall are probably tired of answering questions about WPA(2) handshake capturing, but I have a question I cannot seem to find a straight forward answer to on google or on the forum.
    Lab setup:

Wireless N router with 1GB Ethernet
    LT1 - Dell D630 running BT4
    - Intel 5100 internal wireless card (a/b/g/n)
    - PCMCIA Orinoco Gold card b/g (model:8470-FC)
    LT2 – Dell E6400 running XP
    - Dell wireless 1510 N

I have gone through many of the walkthroughs/guides for cracking WPA/WPA2 and I seem to have an issue with the handshake capture. One of many guides I have read: cracking_wpa [Aircrack-ng] for reference

Packet injection with either my Orinoco or Intel seems to work as I can see my LT2 become dis-associated with my AP, then re-associate. I can also see that in airodump my traffic between LT2 and the AP increases (#Data, packets, #/s, Lost), but for some reason I am not capturing the handshake. I know its there, but airodump isn’t seeing it.

I have double checked my channels, BSSID, station ID, ESSID, etc. I have read the “I cannot capture the four-way handshake!” section of the link I posted on aircrack-ng.org, and forced my bit rates, ap, freq, mode, modulation, still same issue. I have also turned off the Wireless N radio on my router to eliminate any channel confusion.

There are two things that elude me here:

1. When I scan with airodump the MB for my route is showing 54e. What does the “e” stand for and is it a factor when trying to capture the handshake?
    - Doing some looking I believe the ‘e’ is shown when the router has QoS enabled? Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. Am I using the correct drivers for my wireless cards?
    Interface Chipset Driver Card
    Wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn – [phy0] Intel 5100
    Mon0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn –[phy0]
    Wlan1 Atheros ath5k – [phy1] Orinoco Gold

I saw a post (Print Page - Can't capture WPA handshake) where there could be an issue with the ath5k driver and aircrack-ng.org had issued a patch (located here: http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/fix_a...tor_mode.patch) I have downloaded the patch and tried to apply it but I get the following error:

Can’t find file to patch at input line 6

File to Patch:

Am I even moving in the right direction here by looking at the drivers?
    I normally wouldn’t post something this simple on the forum, but it’s been driving me nuts for days.
    Thanks for any comments in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Aircrack-ng - WPA2 - Missing Handshake

Ok, so I have been doing some troubleshooting with Wireshark to check to see if I am missing the handshake, and apparently the handshake IS there, but airodump doesn't see it.

In the EAPOL handshake, I verified that the replay counter in packet 1 and 2 match, and 3 and 4 match. I also verified that the Nonce for Packet 1 and 3 match, along with the beacons.

So my question is, if I am using the same interface for wireshark as I am for airodump, why doesnt airodump capture the handshake, but wireshark can see the key exchange?

Thanks again!

Just burned his ISO

Well, for those of you guys that are interested I finally got this issue fixed and I was able to capture the handshake in airodump-ng on the monitoring interface.

The solution was just dumb luck as I figured as I was perplexed about how the interface could see the traffic but the application could not, so... i did what came to me and updated the application... well all of them

Here are the commands I used to update the aircrack package and grab any other apps that needed updates:

# apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade all

Yea pretty silly of me, but hey i would rather be luck than good sometimes.

I hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Souless View Post
    Well, for those of you guys that are interested I finally got this issue fixed and I was able to capture the handshake in airodump-ng on the monitoring interface.

The solution was just dumb luck as I figured as I was perplexed about how the interface could see the traffic but the application could not, so... i did what came to me and updated the application... well all of them

Here are the commands I used to update the aircrack package and grab any other apps that needed updates:

# apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade all

Yea pretty silly of me, but hey i would rather be luck than good sometimes.

I hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.
    Well I guess my response isn't going to matter now! I clicked the thread in hopes to help you out, but I guess you figured out your own problem. Hope you finally see some results!