Thread: Text doesn't appear till mouse is moved

Just burned his ISO

Question Text doesn't appear till mouse is moved

Hi
    I've been using backtrack for a few months and have it installed on both a flash drive and hardisk. I haven't had any problems up until updating to the new kernel. *The update went successfully on the desktop but not so successfully on the flashdrive. It installed fine but after booting up again into the new kernel and starting x I found a major problem
    The problem *is that in x anything I type will not appear until the mouse is moved. This only happens in the new kernel *as I have booted into the old kernel and it's fine. It also doesn't happen on my desktop install which is quite similar to the flashdrive install.*
    This problem makes doing anything extremely hard.*
    So any help is appreciated
    Thanks

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: Text doesn't appear till mouse is moved

What guide did you follow to do the flash drive install? What are the differences that make it quite similar etc.? Do you have this same problem when in the command line (before starting x)?

Also shouts, I don't think I've noticed anyone further west than me on here before!
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

I used the install backtrack to USB with full disk encryption (video) to install it.
    They are similar in that I have the same things installed. And the problem is only in x I don't have any problems until x is started.
    Go the west

P.s. I have read about a similar issue on kubuntu with intel graphics not refreshing the screen unless they have a mouse input but no one could solve their problem. So could someone tell Me how to find out my intel graphics card type and get the right driver so I can try that.
    Thanks
    Link to bug report: Bug 21155 – [DRI2] screen only updates if mouse is moved
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 08-15-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Bit of threadnomancy but I was just going through the list of posts I've made recently.

Check lspci, dmesg and all the usual ways of finding out what hardware is running. If there is a bug report that noone has solved then I'm not sure the BT community will be able to help much, but if you do see it sorted, let us know in case anyone else is using that equipment.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your help Gitsnik but a fresh install solved the problem and even made it run better.
    Thanks