Thread: Vista/BT Dual Boot Question

Default Vista/BT Dual Boot Question

Alright guys, I think I am forgetting my basics here, so maybe someone can refresh my memory as to why this aint working. Okay, so here it goes. I got a 60 Gig drive of which I installed Vista on the first 25 gigs on /dev/hda1. I then followed muts dual boot video which gives me the following:

/dev/hda1 - vista (25 GB)
    /dev/hda2 - boot (64 MB)
    /dev/hda3 - swap (1024 MB)
    /dev/hda4 - backtrack (3000 MB)

/dev/hda1 is a primary partition and while following muts dual boot video, I had to make /dev/hda2,3,4 also primary partitions. After getting everything installed and dual booting, I still had leftover space (about 21 GB) that i wanted to use in windows to create a storage drive. While in windows, if I try and create a simple volume with the remaining space, it will do so but prevent me from booting into BT. So, how the heck to format the remaining 21GB so that I can create a D drive in windows? Thanks in advance for any help.

tparnet

Just burned his ISO

Default Same problem

Hello,

Vista does not make this easy IMO.

Where can I find muts dual boot tutorial?

Cheers

this maybe a daft answer, but surely you can just format it to fat32 within Backtrack?

I haven't touched Vista yet... so I apologise if this is a stupid thing to suggest!

Just burned his ISO

If I understand what you are saying correctly you won't be able to do it that way. You can only have 4 primary partitions. It looks like from your description that each of your four partitions are marked primary. Not sure what Vista is marking the 21 GB partition as but it would have to be an extended partionion since your other 4 primary partitions are being used.
    I haven't attempted the install with Vista yet but it looks like your problem has something to do with this issue...

Quote Originally Posted by john12312 View Post

Where can I find muts dual boot tutorial?

Cheers
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....on_.28movie.29

tparnet

Quote Originally Posted by bikeswine View Post
    If I understand what you are saying correctly you won't be able to do it that way. You can only have 4 primary partitions. It looks like from your description that each of your four partitions are marked primary. Not sure what Vista is marking the 21 GB partition as but it would have to be an extended partionion since your other 4 primary partitions are being used.
    I haven't attempted the install with Vista yet but it looks like your problem has something to do with this issue...
    I had to sleep on this one to clear my head. Yah, Vista is marking it as a primary, which gives me a total of four primary partitions. While in windows, if you attempt to convert the remaining space into a "Simple Volume" IT WILL prevent you from booting into BT. I did it this morning just to verify, so please dont attempt this unless you intend on reinstalling. I kind of figured that I was going to reinstall anyhow, so I might as well have taken one for the team.

My next step is to do the following:

Install Vista on /dev/hda1 (25 GB)
    create a D drive for vista on /dev/hda2 (21 GB)

Determine how to install BT on an extended partition that will allow me to have a /boot, /swap, and /bt directory. If anyone has any tips, warnings, caveats, please let me know. If not, when I figure something out, I'll repost.

tparnet