Thread: Trouble with police?

Itssid

Question Trouble with police?

If i try to crack my own wireless AP with BT, will i in any way get in trouble with the police?

Another thing does anyone know where i can find a video or written tutorial on how to crack WEP encryption using Back Track 2.0 .

Thanking you,
    Sid

Just burned his ISO

The purpose of aircrack and similar tools are to audit ones own networks- so no you are not going to get in trouble for 'cracking' your own ap if it is indeed your own.

The tools can be used to test for various levels of security and vulnerabilities so one can tweak the network to meet their own standards, whatever they are...hope that helps. jd

>> for video tutorials check out the tutorial heading of this forum--I believe you will find what you are looking for through a search of browsing--alternatly you should google it and you'll find lots of tips and tidbits. good luk.

Just burned his ISO

I cannot see why the police would bother you. Especially if you are attempting to so while located on your own property.

Really how would they find out? It's not as if they have war-driving police just running around looking for people with laptops and wifi.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Itssid View Post
    If i try to crack my own wireless AP with BT, will i in any way get in trouble with the police?

Another thing does anyone know where i can find a video or written tutorial on how to crack WEP encryption using Back Track 2.0 .

Thanking you,
    Sid
    you just confirmed yours members status.....

Just burned his ISO

Go for it.

Breaking into your own stuff is the best way to learn. Backtrack is full of many good (and some not so good) tools. If you do break into your AP, write down how you did it. Now patch your AP, or enable a better security policy. Now try to break into your own AP again. Rinse, wash repeat.

Keep in mind though, that this for learning. Please don't run around trying to break into every AP you see.