Thread: helpz! I corrupted my password!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default helpz! I corrupted my password!!!!

Ok, I messed up my fresh HD installation of BT. I was trying to change the root password via the X password changing app under the control center. The newly typed in password was not getting written or something- it was hanging for a long while so I terminated it. I tried to re-set the new password a few times and had the same results each time: the app would just hang each time so I figured that I would log out and reboot to see if it might help by freeing up resources or whatever,,,big mistake when I think about it!

Now I cannot log in period. The new password was not properly written, I've tried all configurations of it just in case only a few chars were written but nothing gets me in! What do I do now besides another installation? Without being able to log in I think I am out of luck unless there is a backdoor string or something that will log me in?

Any ideas folks about how I can rectify without having to re-do the installation again? Thanks in advance for any ideas or tips about this one....jd

>> apologies, I posted prior to searching the site-ended up finding a couple of solutions which I am about to attempt, both sound promising but one brings up another question:: If one can simply use the live cd to boot into the OS and then edit the password file on the HD, where is the security in that?

>>> the issue has been resolved by copying the contents of the live cd's shadow file into the HD's shadow file and rebooting. Still wonder why the issues happened in the first place tho- the password chang app is still hanging when I try to set a new one....I guess I had better stick with console methods? a bug or just a slo system.......

Now you know why physical security is as critical. If some one has physical access, game over. There are too many ways around security if you have access to the box. They could just remove the drive, and plug it in their own machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydag71 View Post
    >> but one brings up another question:: If one can simply use the live cd to boot into the OS and then edit the password file on the HD, where is the security in that?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydag71 View Post
    Ok, I messed up my fresh HD installation of BT. I was trying to change the root password via the X password changing app under the control center. The newly typed in password was not getting written or something- it was hanging for a long while so I terminated it. I tried to re-set the new password a few times and had the same results each time: the app would just hang each time so I figured that I would log out and reboot to see if it might help by freeing up resources or whatever,,,big mistake when I think about it!

Now I cannot log in period. The new password was not properly written, I've tried all configurations of it just in case only a few chars were written but nothing gets me in! What do I do now besides another installation? Without being able to log in I think I am out of luck unless there is a backdoor string or something that will log me in?

Any ideas folks about how I can rectify without having to re-do the installation again? Thanks in advance for any ideas or tips about this one....jd

>> apologies, I posted prior to searching the site-ended up finding a couple of solutions which I am about to attempt, both sound promising but one brings up another question:: If one can simply use the live cd to boot into the OS and then edit the password file on the HD, where is the security in that?

>>> the issue has been resolved by copying the contents of the live cd's shadow file into the HD's shadow file and rebooting. Still wonder why the issues happened in the first place tho- the password chang app is still hanging when I try to set a new one....I guess I had better stick with console methods? a bug or just a slo system.......
    i have the same problem kinda i rebooted and my password did not work anymore i have no idea why i just rebooted the system and it would not let me back in any ideas?

Boot from the live CD and copy the passwd and shadow files to your HD, now your PW is back to the original.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.