Thread: Kismet questions

Itssid

Question Kismet questions

How would i find out the AP's mac address and the computer's mac address using kismet?

How do i know if people are connected to the AP or not, because its hard to get the '# data' of the AP if people aren't connected to it.

How can i know how close i am to a particular AP?

Everytime I use airodump-ng the # data seems to increase EXTREMELY slowly (2, every 5 minutes). Anyone know why?

Everytime I use aireplay-ng it reads the packets, but say 0 for ARP's and sent. Please help.

Thanking you,
    Sid

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Itssid View Post
    How would i find out the AP's mac address and the computer's mac address using kismet?
    Once you start Kismet, and you see your AP listed, press "S" and then choose a sort option (I usually use capital "P" to sort by packets).
    Use the arrows on your keyboard to highlight your AP and then press "I" to get info, that's where you'll find its MAC and other various id's.
    Once you've got that down, press "C" to list the clients connected to the AP, again I prefer to use "S" to sort the clients (providing there's more than one) and then press "P" to sort them by packets...that way you can see which client is the most active and use its MAC for later.
    Press "Q" several times to get back to the main screen, more help can be found by pressing "H".

How do i know if people are connected to the AP or not, because its hard to get the '# data' of the AP if people aren't connected to it.
    If there's no clients connected the common recommendation is to use a fakeauth attack, read more about that in one of the tutorials.

How can i know how close i am to a particular AP?
    In Kismet's main listing, check the PWR column. Higher is better.

That's all I could help you with for now.

Itssid

Thank you I will lookup how to perform a fakeauth attack.

One more thing everytime i try to rum aireplay the reading packets seem to increase quick but the ARP and sent stay 0, Anyone know why?????

One thing I have noticed when trying to get packets is that often Kismet will list an AP as having clients but this is not always accurate so I don't rely on Kismet to get the clients MAC address, I use airodump. If while running airodump you only see the BSSID of the AP then there are no clients, regardless of what Kismet says. However, if the AP BSSID is listed and then below you the the mac add of the AP and another mac add, the other one is the client. (it should be the one on the right if i remember correctly)

Question

I have a pc and a laptop. BT 2 is running on my pc that has a linksys 54g pci wireless card. not sure what the laptop has, some sort of broadcom card that doesnt work with bt. When i log into win xp on the laptop and search for networks it shows 5 or 6 different ones. when i launch kismet on the pc i get one network with an ssid, netgear, and the rest are no ssid and no channel. why does my laptop pick up networks that kismet does not. i know the card in the pc is much better than the one in the laptop. just a little confused. also, gps data??? how does that work and what do i need to get it?