Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack 2 Atheros wireless card problem

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 2 Atheros wireless card problem

I am totaly new to linux and backtrack and I am trying to crack som WEP keys using airdump , aircrack ect ... using an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter

when I start backtrack 2 and try to run kismet i says

Server options: none
    Client options: none
    Starting server...
    Waiting for server to start before starting UI...
    Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
    No specific sources give to enabled, all will be enabled.
    Enabling channel hopping.
    Enabling channel splitting.
    FATAL: No packsources were enabled. Make sure that if you use an enabledsource line that you specify the correct sources.

if I then go and look at my wireless adapter with the command ifconfig .. no eth0 comes up just the lo

bt ~ # ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope: Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I then downloaded the latest madwifi drivers and packed it up on the desktop... I cd in the directory and wrote make && make install and I got this msg

bt madwifi-ng-r2187-20070309 # make && make install
    Makefile.inc:81: *** Cannot detect kernel versions - please check compiler and KERNELPATH. Stop.

plz help me and be easy on me my skills are not that good

Just burned his ISO

I cant help you with your problem, but I know BT2 has already the drivers for Atheros and they are patch for injection. So you dont have to installed them. As far as making your card work, Im trying to do the same. I was adviced to check the madafi driver website. If I figure it out, not likelly today, im on call, I will drop here and give you the details. If you find the way it will be nice if you do the same.

Good luck...
    Nandy

Which cards do you guys have?

Try ifconfig -a to see if there's a network device there, and check out iwconfig if you haven't done so.

If airodump doesn't work with your card then we've got to see what's going on, but Kismet is a complete different story as there is some editing to be done to the config file before running it. Dig the forums for that.

Good luck

I was wrong, nothing to be done to Kismet before loading. Hadn't checked the new version before posting.

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

I have a similar problem, my Atheros AR5005G apears in iwconfig, like ath0, I put it UP and no problem.

But with the wlassistant I can't see my own network, with kismet all works ok but again no network detected.

Any sugestion?

Best regards.

Just burned his ISO

Default I had the same problem...

when I start backtrack 2 and try to run kismet i says

Server options: none
    Client options: none
    Starting server...
    Waiting for server to start before starting UI...
    Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
    No specific sources give to enabled, all will be enabled.
    Enabling channel hopping.
    Enabling channel splitting.
    FATAL: No packsources were enabled. Make sure that if you use an enabledsource line that you specify the correct sources.
    I had the same problem, however I solved it and I don't know why this works. Whenever I started kismet I just went into the shell and typed, "kismet" and I got that error...however when I went to the k-menu > backtrack > radio-thingy > 802.11 > kismet THEN kismet recognized my atheros card and put it into monitor mode for me.
    Hope it works the same for you. Sorry about the lack of k-menu specifics, I'm stupid. sorry.

Just burned his ISO

The problerm I'm running into with using Kismet or Airoscript or etc is: It'll ask me which interface I wish to choose (Wifi0 or ath0, which, I choose wifi0) and it'll go through it's run text. Then when it appears, it's not detecting my wireless router right next to it. I know it works fine because I tried it with my BT1 Final and it picks it right up. I'm running the Netgear WG511T(Yes I have dug around the forums and still nothing about this similar problem, and yes not just 1 light is blinking but both are when Kismet is up) and have tried the cheat code "bt noaspci",the airmon-ng start wifi0 with that putting my card in ath1 into Monitor mode. What else might there be to try? x

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

"The problerm I'm running into with using Kismet or Airoscript or etc is: It'll ask me which interface I wish to choose (Wifi0 or ath0, which, I choose wifi0) and it'll go through it's run text."

exactly the same hapens to me

In theory we have to chosse Wifi0, and Kismet crates a new interface named ath1 who is in monitor mode... but doesn't work.

Any suggestion?

Best regards.

Just burned his ISO

*Bump* I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having the same problem. Anybody have a solution for this (Not to sound rude), or will we just get told to go look for the solution elsewhere (when I have dug around and nothing to my prevail)

Just a thought,

I use Kismet sometimes to get it to work the Atheros card has to be in monitor mode

goto a console

airmon-ng start wifi0 0 (this will allow the monitor mode to scan)
    wlanconfig destroy ath0 ( this destroys the ath0 that is not being used)
    ifconfig ath1 up (brings teh card up)
    iwconfig ath1 mode Monitor channel 0
    now run kismet.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast