Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

Just burned his ISO DaimyoZidane's Avatar

Default Re: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

@Archangel
    I made multiple consecutive posts because my post had yet to be approved by a moderator, and as I typically am not a member of forums that I browse for information, I'm not used to typical forum rules nor utilizing protocols that are anything but straightforward (as in, when I need to post, I simply post). I will adhere to that rule in the future, and apologize for the transgression. Also, I had already looked at the thread, and was browsing through it to get the information I needed. I appreciate the intent, though I can't help but feel as though condescention is less than conducive to encouraging one to undertake learning experiences.

I've upgraded my kernel at this point, but by default have received only minimal function as it failed to change the driver that was being utilized from the previous one (RT2500 I believe). I must admit, though, that the update was well worth it .

I will attempt to solve this problem myself, as I saw the appropriate drivers being downloaded as part of the upgrade process, and must assume that one will provide proper functionality.

I will post any findings.

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Re: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

I got my card today and as I promised in my previous post here the way I took making it work

first of all lets upgrade all packages available
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    Download latest firmware available for RT2870/RT3070 and move it to /lib/firmware

you can get it from Ralink or you can use the link below which is from my Dropbox
    Code:
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3149767/RT30...rmware_V22.zip
    unzip RT2870_Firmware_V22.zip
    mv RT2870_Firmware_V22/rt2870.bin /lib/firmware
    Download compat-wireless-2.6 latest snapshot uncompress and compile
    Code:
    wget http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...ss-2.6.tar.bz2
    tar jxvf compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-*
    make clean
    make
    make unload
    I also upgraded iw this is optional you can get snapshot from iw git repo or stable build from the wireless kernel website or the snapshot I used from my Dropbox the link is below.

Backup old version of iw in case something will go wrong
    Code:
    mv /usr/bin/iw /usr/bin/iw.orig
    uncompress compile and install the new version

Code:
    tar xvzf iw-*.gz
    cd iw-*
    make
    make install
    for some odd reason iw have been installed in /usr/sbin/iw so I also copied it to previous location
    Code:
    cp -p iw /usr/bin
    just in case the previous module will be enabled sometime in the future I blacklisted it

Code:
    nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    blacklist rt2870sta
    reboot and test injection on the newly installed card
    Code:
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    aireplay -9 mon0
    Good Luck

Update #1: I got some problems setting monitor channels so I took a shot and updated BT to Kernel 2.6.35-rc6 and got much better reception and performance, Will update the HOWTO soon.

Update #2: Kernel 2.6.35 was released I updated my BT4 and the RT3070 driver is working very good apart from a small issue Aircrack-NG Suite has a bug which prevents monX fixed channel injection.
    so no fake authentication but there is a patch/workaround available HERE
    I Will update howto as soon as I finish testing everything out

Update #3: I published another HOWTO which explains how to upgrade to Kernel 2.6.35, I'm just waiting for the moderators to approve it (Hopefully) and I will add a link to it here.
    Last edited by roadkill; 08-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Default Re: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

Another generic HOWTO from wardriving-forum.de: https://wardriving-forum.de/wiki/Ralink_Chipsatz

Just burned his ISO

Hello,
    I also made the mistake of buying the Alfa AWUSO36NH
    So was glad to see you making progress on this, Any updates would be appreciated,
    Also I booted on BackTrack 4 RI forn a USB stick. Is it possible to perform all these steps you outlined, so they are on the USB stick. Or do I have to Install BAckTrack to the HD.
    Can you email the rest of your post since I see the moderators have not yet approved?

Thanks for all your help in this issue.
    Wen back to try BackTrack3, but will not boot on my HP DV7 !
    WarpDrive

WarpDrive,

Kind of, you'll have to install Backtrack to the USB device and enable persistence (so files and configs aren't forgotten/overwritten each time you boot your USB)
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux

I actually have a different brand of unit to the alfa, however it still is a RTL8187 Realtek Chipset.

And to my frustration, for the life of me, I cannot seem to get the internet connection to stabalize on any network. I play with rates and Tx's to no avail.

The unit works fine, it is auto detected by BT4R1, and injection is working quite well although at times the data rate injected can drop to #5's but only momentarily.

I wish there was an explination or fix, I am running the new 2.6.34 Kernel aswell and that has not fixed the issue.

All I can see is that the light on the unit flashes fast, sometimes bright, sometimes dim, but always flashing.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply, Its funny, don't know why I did not think of this, but I started
    setting Persistence after I posted! And finally at 2am have AWUS036NH Working, However, would like to get it to work to access the Web through Firefox.
    Running Backtrack R1,
    Warpit!

Woah!
    Darn I thought I had this card AWUSO36NH working,
    airmon-ng shows:
    wlan0 Ralink RT2870/3070 rt2800usb - [phy1]
    wlan1 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - [phy0]

When I try to use airodump-ng wlan0
    its shows counting channels
    BSSIS PWR Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID

BSSID STATION PWR Rate Lost Packets Probes.

But no data!

I f I use my built in Intel wlan1 it works. but I want to use the Alpha card! I thought there was a fix for this problem? Anyone come across this issue?

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 08-23-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12