Thread: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO DaimyoZidane's Avatar

Default Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

After using my perfectly capable internal realtek card to access an ap, I've managed to log onto an internet connection by using the airodump-ng--aireplay-ng--aircrack trifecta.

My problem is, that in my endless effort to optimize my connections, I've come across no cut and dry answer or explanation regarding the use of my alfa awus036NH usb wifi card. It is, unarguably, the finest piece of tech I've used in my Windows 7 partition, but a method of proper installation seems to exist only on the fringes of virtual reality. Every link I've explored either connects to a downed server, or speaks with such technical bravado that I'm completely incapable of understanding what I'm to do, as while the bash prompt is the computer equivalent of a captain's wheel, I'm still rather new to the process altogether.

I would appreciate any response that includes: a verified, functional link to a tutorial that explains the proper installation of my device (the awus036nh on bt4) in terms comprehensible to those of a new linux user whose been somewhat studious; a confirmation or dismissal of the notion that the awus036nh is capable of monitor mode, packet injection, and client/managed mode; or a referral to some method by which I can eventually obtain the use of this device.

As the awus036nh is fairly reputable (or at least the awus036h is), I would hope that one might be able to sticky a thread that adheres to one of my aforementioned requests.

Default Re: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

Im not aware of any such link actually existing (despite the fact I havent looked for a few months). But for this particular device Im curious, so despite my FAQ entry here which basically tells people not to start threads asking if their device works under BT 4, Im going to allow this to see if anyone can confirm or deny.

Just curious OP, did you try the device after upgrading the kernel to 2.6.34?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default Re: Settle this: AWUS036NH- Is it fully compatible with bt4 final distro?

Here is what I found for you OP, Alfa awuso36nh should give you the run down to the point you desire. Cut away the vmware stuff there is alot on that same site if need further help.
    Last edited by dromar421; 07-20-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    The step by step guide to Backtrack.
    1. Open up your Internet Browser.
    2. Go to google Home Page.
    3. Type in exactly what you are looking for in search box provided.
    4. Use your mouse to go were it says, search, click on it.
    5. Read till your eyes bleed.
    6. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Realtek RTL8187L Chipset Comments

Cards containing the Realtek RTL8187L chipset work quite well and is recommended. The driver patch for this chipset has been continuously improved and quite good at this point in time. The Alfa AWUS036H is a very popular card with this chipset and it performs well the aircrack-ng suite. This chipset is not to be confused with the RTL8187B, which is nowhere near as tested as RTL8187L.

Source: compatibility_drivers [Aircrack-ng]

I think you might find that your card uses aforementioned RTL8187B. Just a theory of mine though. Go ahead and check. Please reply to this thread afterwards. I think the chipset is shown when you run airmon-ng without any arguments/options.

Quote Originally Posted by randalth0r View Post
    Realtek RTL8187L Chipset Comments
    I believe you are confusing AWUS036H with AWUS036NH, from which the latest uses a Ralink RT3070 chipset

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    I believe you are confusing AWUS036H with AWUS036NH, from which the latest uses a Ralink RT3070 chipset
    No confusion. I just didn't know which chipset AWUS036NH was using. I suspected it to be RTL8187B but I stand corrected!

Just burned his ISO DaimyoZidane's Avatar

@Lupin
    I appreciate your condoning this thread, I felt as though this might be worthwhile.
    Oh, and the link I was referring to was this one:

hXXp://forums.remote-exploit.org/wireless/30201-awus036nh-power-alert.html#post174108

I found it while browsing in the backtrack forums at some point trying to find a solution, and more than one would-be saviour had linked to that post, which, for me, yields a "Failure to connect" result with every attempt to view.

As for my linux kernel, I don't quite know at this exact moment what kernel I have, but I downloaded bt4-final, but have yet to update it. I will check momentarily.

@dromar421
    I had already found that page, but had yet to try it as it seemed to use vmware as a boot medium, which, however much fun it may be, is not my objective. I will try this if there is no more cut-and-dry method available, but I don't think it should take the recompilation of the kernel to add the functionality of one device. I appreciate the response, but this will go untested until I can tap into a decent connection.

Also, I've read some report of partial functionality while using the RT2800 driver, but in the account I recall, the op reported only partial functionality and the need to frequently swap that driver with the other two drivers that enabled "functionality" from the blacklist manually to achieve monitor mode and managed mode function separately.
    That would just suck.

I'm about to install dhcpcd and hopefully connect to the internet using my bt4 partition to update and see what I can do from there.

I am not yet running the latest kernel. After I educate myself on the update process (apt-get update, I know. It's the whole "getting a linux distro to connect to the internet" hurdle I have to jump), I'll perform an update and report any functionality.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-20-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

First use the "edit this post" button instead of making multiple consecutive posts.
    Second in order to determine what kernel you have you can use the following command # uname - a see the man page for more info.
    # man uname. Using apt-get upgrade by it's self is not going to upgrade your kernel. I would suggest you look at this thread.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

WarpDrive,

Kind of, you'll have to install Backtrack to the USB device and enable persistence (so files and configs aren't forgotten/overwritten each time you boot your USB)
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux