Thread: RAW Sockets questions host OS running BT Guest

Just burned his ISO

Default RAW Sockets questions host OS running BT Guest

Greetings,

Since XP+ pretty much do not allow for raw sockets, does that inability extend down into a guest OS? while the vm can do raw sockets, it is limited because the host OS cannot?

Does that make any sense?

Thanks again

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: RAW Sockets questions host OS running BT Guest

XP+ do allow raw sockets (in a certain kind of way), and tools like nmap work around them.

I've never actually turned around and tcpdump'd a machine to see what packets are getting through, but a Virtual Machine would need to pretty strongly generate its own packets its own way - otherwise the stack wouldn't work at all and you'd have a useless VM - but on the other hand I've never noticed my tools operating differently from VM to laptop, which should be indicative.

So, test it first, sniff a machine you are scanning/hping'ing/dumping to and see if the packets are manipulated on the way out of the direct-to-network VM - I rather think they'll be fine, but can't say for sure.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Default Re: RAW Sockets questions host OS running BT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    XP+ do allow raw sockets (in a certain kind of way), and tools like nmap work around them.
    Yep, read this for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    I've never actually turned around and tcpdump'd a machine to see what packets are getting through, but a Virtual Machine would need to pretty strongly generate its own packets its own way - otherwise the stack wouldn't work at all and you'd have a useless VM - but on the other hand I've never noticed my tools operating differently from VM to laptop, which should be indicative.

So, test it first, sniff a machine you are scanning/hping'ing/dumping to and see if the packets are manipulated on the way out of the direct-to-network VM - I rather think they'll be fine, but can't say for sure.
    I would also assume that the host OS should send the guests IP packets on pretty much unmolested, however I also agree with Gitsnik that if in doubt, you should test it to confirm. Always a good rule in my opinion, and its a neceessary skill to pick up if you are a pentester - testing your tools to confirm they work the way you think they do. Let us know of your results.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.