Thread: Firefox 3.5.7

Default Firefox 3.5.7

I need 3.5.7 for many addons that I use for everyday things.

Currently I just downloaded the tar file from Mozilla and run it out of a folder in /opt and have it linked. Sometimes when I do updates however it reverts to Firefox 3.0 and I lose all of my addons that are incompatible, etc.

It'd be nice to have 3.5.7 integrated into the repositories for future updates.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Firefox 3.5.7

Or wait until next week and add 3.6 when it is released.

3.6 is released. Any reason why not to upgrade it in BT4? possible addon conflicts?

Yeah I actually have a few addons that aren't supported.

But I was hoping to have 3.6 updated in the repositories so that I didn't have to manually run my own version which is 3.0 in BT4, and currently won't update on it's own of course.

Couple of things - something that was just released has not gone through the break-in period during which people with unsavory interests find holes in it which they use to steal information you probably dont want stolen. Secondly you can remove the ffox install from synaptic and add the official firefox repo to your sources list (something that the devs will not support AFAIK) in order to stay updated with the current version. Personally, i use 3.0.15 (included in BT) without any real issue. I'll test out 3.6 when i have time, but its not the biggest thing on my list.

this comes from the old forum from user or4n9e try it out
    Community,

due to the fact that BT4 pre-final is based on Intrepid, it's quite a challenge to install FF 3.5 as it's not at all available via apt-get. There's a rather comfortable python-script called "Ubuntuzilla" available though that automates the process by downloading FF 3.5 directly from Mozilla, put FF 3.0 aside and is even able to revert the whole process with a single command. Furthermore "Ubuntuzilla" introduces a cron job that notifies you of updates on FF 3.5. So, let's get started:

1st Step: Download the "Ubuntuzilla" installer from Sourceforge and install it utilizing dpkg and apt-get to resolve dependencies (ignore the warnings while running dpkg)
    Code:
    # wget Download Ubuntuzilla: Mozilla Software Installer from SourceForge.net
    # dpkg -i ubuntuzilla-4.6.1-0ubuntu1-i386.deb
    # apt-get install -f
    2nd Step: Execute the "Ubuntuzilla" python-script and follow the rather simple y/n questions (should be self-explanatory)
    Code:
    # ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p firefox
    "Ubuntuzilla" puts FF 3.0 (installed from repositories) aside utilizing dpkg-divert and replaces the KDE menu-item to launch FF 3.5 instead of FF3.0 (both are installed in parallel). FF 3.5 gets btw installed to /opt/firefox

If you want to revert the process for some reason, you just need to execute the "Ubuntuzilla" python-script again like this
    Code:
    # ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p firefox
    Have fun! For an even smoother FF experience, please also checkout my other tutorial about "Integrating GTK-apps into the KDE3 desktop environment" here