Thread: Sound doesnt work after waking up from hibernate

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Sound doesnt work after waking up from hibernate

Hi There!

I usually like to hibernate my PC instead of shutting down and having to restart everything again..

But here's a problem: the sound doesn't seem to work after waking up from a hibernate unless I reboot the machine (which of course undoes the hibernate..)

Is there a workaround for this?! If not, can anyone help me with how I can simply restart the sound instead of having to do a complete reboot??!

My sound card looks like this:

# lspci -v | grep audio
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosbuddha View Post
    Hi There!

I usually like to hibernate my PC instead of shutting down and having to restart everything again..

But here's a problem: the sound doesn't seem to work after waking up from a hibernate unless I reboot the machine (which of course undoes the hibernate..)

Is there a workaround for this?! If not, can anyone help me with how I can simply restart the sound instead of having to do a complete reboot??!

My sound card looks like this:

# lspci -v | grep audio
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
    I just tried running a test of sorts again:-
    I played a youtube video that I had opened before hibernate - no sound.
    Then I opened VLC and played an mp3 - sound came back, both on VLC and the browser.
    I hope this provides some insight to those who might have a better knowledge of it.

Also, can anyone help me with how I can make BT suspend to disk && ram from konsole?! I wanted to put it into a script for some automation basically.
    Also, I would like to configure BT to accept this input via hitting power button instead of having to type commands at times. I tried configuring kpowersave but that didn't help - press as I much as I may the power button, nothing happens..
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-10-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Sound doesnt work after waking up from hibernate

Since no one has come forth, I will take a shot at this.
    Try ensuring sound works before hibernation, then put it down and bring it back up.
    Check again, if it does not work open a shell and type # aplay -l (lower case L) see if the card is recognized.
    If so then it's something else. If not then then you will need to try to probe it with # modeprobe snd-insertsoundcarddriverhere.
    Check the alsa webpage under drivers to find yours specific one, if you don't know.
    Use lspci as well.
    Report back if you get anything on this.

It would also be nice if someone else could verify this.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-16-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Re: Sound doesnt work after waking up from hibernate

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Since no one has come forth, I will take a shot at this.
    Try ensuring sound works before hibernation, then put it down and bring it back up.
    I had a youtube video running from which sound vanished after the wake up. I did alsa reload which returned saying some modules weren't unloaded as firefox was using them.
    So I did alsa force-reload which had the effect closing down all the firefox windows. I restarted firefox and the sound was back again.

Check again, if it does not work open a shell and type # aplay -l (lower case L) see if the card is recognized.
    It detected my sound card as SI7012 [SiS SI7012]

If so then it's something else.
    I tried running flash videos which ran perfectly well - even in wine.
    I tried playing videos.google.com vids which again worked.
    I ran into problems only with youtube videos so I guess it has something to do with youtube than BT!

BTW could you help me figure out a way through which I can configure the power button of my PC to control the hibernate and shutdown of BT?!
    Currently the powerbutton is dysfuntional - configuring kpowersave doesn't help either.

If possible I would also like to know the command equivalent(s) of kpowersave.