Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't find Wireless network - BackTrack 4 - HP pavilion dv6 laptop -

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't find Wireless network - BackTrack 4 - HP pavilion dv6 laptop -

Hi there!

So, in my work as a penetration tester I got the eyes up for BackTrack - I'm a experienced Linux user but I still have problems with this BackTrack networking thing so I've decided to post inhere.

Anyway, this is my problem:

I simply can't see any networks, and in my work I have to see networks, I'm afraid I can't just connect to them by editing networking.

I've been looking around in the forums and havnä't found a solution for my problem.

Yes, I've started networking and all this.

Also started the modprobe ath_pci module.

Thanks for help!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Can't find Wireless network - BackTrack 4 - HP pavilion dv6 laptop -

Well in your work as a pentester you will notice that we have a faq section and a tutorial section, both of which will lead you to a tutorial on how to get networking going in your BT setup.
    You will also notice in your work as a pentester that documentation is a key to success.
    So if you will please document what steps you have taken to start networking (I simply can't see... is not helpful) we can further help troubleshoot the problem with you.

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Can't find Wireless network - BackTrack 4 - HP pavilion dv6 laptop -

I've looked on these, however there is noone that shows how to get the network manager to show wireless networks. I've also read the man for this.

Manually connecting to a network works like a charm, but as I often work in schools and places like that I'm not being given the names of the networks.

Havn't done much really, I've been struggeling around in the settings but found nothing there so I would be most delighted if you could help me from here.

Regards

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

My first question is why can't you see the networks? I mean that in and of it self it pretty vague.
    Second where is the info on your card so we can help determine if it is compatible or if this is a pebkac or BT problem.
    What commands are you using to connect? What is the results of those commands?
    Why are you not being given the names of the networks that you just have to connect to? I mean obviously you are trying to do something you shouldn't and I will leave that alone (for now) or the administrator of those networks is failing you. If the latter is the case then I would suggest you talk to him/her about this.

As for starting networks the matter is simply bringing the appropriate interface online and connecting to an available network.
    IF you don't know how to do this then again look at the tutorial section there is a guide.
    If you have done this and can't connect then you will need to determine why you can't. It could be signal strength issues, encryption or numerous other ones.
    Again you will need to be a bit more specific in order for us to help you.
    Thanks.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

First of all: I'm absolutely not doing anything illegal, the whole point is that I'm not being given any information by my employers but information hackers can obtain.

I would be most glad to show you exactly who I am and such if you do not believe me.

Anyway: I used Ubuntu for, even the version BackTrack is supposed to be based on so that shouldn't be a problem, also I found a thread that this laptop is working perfect with BackTrack for others and therefor I skipped that.

It IS possible to connect to my network at home, since I do know the password and such there, allthough I'm doing this manually from the guides and it works like a charm.

All thought the main problem is I can't see any wireless networks in the wifi manager which is bugging me.

I have no idea why these aren't being shown, I've configured wlan0 to auto when I'm at work. I tried entering the administrators wifi at the school and it works perfectly (again manually).

But since my task for now is to gain access to a Linux oriented environment which they are using to save money (since setting up a school network with Microsoft isn't just retarded, it's ****ing expensive too.).

The network card is: Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Thanks again for helping me in the struggeling

Lightbulb Re: Can't find Wireless network - BackTrack 4 - HP pavilion dv6 laptop -

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    First of all: I'm absolutely not doing anything illegal, the whole point is that I'm not being given any information by my employers but information hackers can obtain.

I would be most glad to show you exactly who I am and such if you do not believe me.

Anyway: I used Ubuntu for, even the version BackTrack is supposed to be based on so that shouldn't be a problem, also I found a thread that this laptop is working perfect with BackTrack for others and therefor I skipped that.

It IS possible to connect to my network at home, since I do know the password and such there, allthough I'm doing this manually from the guides and it works like a charm.

All thought the main problem is I can't see any wireless networks in the wifi manager which is bugging me.

I have no idea why these aren't being shown, I've configured wlan0 to auto when I'm at work. I tried entering the administrators wifi at the school and it works perfectly (again manually).

But since my task for now is to gain access to a Linux oriented environment which they are using to save money (since setting up a school network with Microsoft isn't just retarded, it's ****ing expensive too.).

The network card is: Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Thanks again for helping me in the struggeling
    calm down men, i suggest you to do what archangel says, document what commands you run and the results of that, to get up the wlan interface, i know can be sound stupid but some times the experiment ones we have some keyboard typing problems xD, or you can paste the out put of the log messages (tail -f /var/log/messages) when you make the up of the wlan interface, any way start the network service it's nothing so hard to do.

i have the same problem with bc43xx when i disable the wlan on windows XP and reboot to bt4. the solution is: start-networking, open console and use 'ifconfig <interface> down', then start wicd and click on refresh. that work on my HP nx6325 notebook.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the answers, and first of all I am perfectly calm, I too well understand how arch. feels, it's a pain in the ass sometimes with questions like this.

Anyway, I think the problem is something with the drivers or similiar, cause when I hit refresh it takes 0.5 second or even less for it to say "no wifi found", it can't search the area that fast so I suppose there is some problem with the network card.

I'll try the solution above this post.

Thanks again sirs for helping me

All right, tried it out, still no success. Even if I use "Add Hidden Network" and enter the ESSID for my home network it still doesn't work.

Strange shit :-(

Any clues?

BUMP for answers
    Last edited by lupin; 07-22-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Merging.

Dont Bump threads, it just annoys people. You have already been told what to do if you want more help. So read through the responses you have already got and do what people have suggested.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Dont Bump threads, it just annoys people. You have already been told what to do if you want more help. So read through the responses you have already got and do what people have suggested.

I have done everything I've found and still havn't got a solution to my problem, therefor I'm simply asking for new answers.

So, I guess there is no solution or clear reason why the problem exists, since it works perfectly in the ubuntuversion BackTrack is based on it should work here too but I guess not.

Something the developers should look carefully at if you ask me, a operating system which doesn't run standard features is kinda useless.
    Last edited by lupin; 07-26-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Merging...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast