Thread: Boot Up Manager aka bum

Default Boot Up Manager aka bum

Why doesn't bt4 supply boot up manager for services? i know i can start the internet by going to the konsol and typeing in start-network or /etc/init.d/networking start or service wicd start. Using sudo if I'm not in root. Now I know I can add the command manually but I'll probably end up messing up bt4 which I have and needed to re-install. I also know I can install boot up manager aka bum by opening up terminal and typing in apt-get install bum. But im just wondering why isn't bum in bt4 by defualt, it sure would be a good boot up service for it. Thats my only question.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Boot Up Manager aka bum

Well there are plenty of threads on this topic, but here is one basic reason for it; Networking running at boot up can be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Well there are plenty of threads on this topic, but here is one basic reason for it; Networking running at boot up can be bad.
    100% True.
    fightclub there is a tutorial on how to auto-start the network when you boot up. If you follow it you won't do any damage to your BT.
    But it's better that it doesn't start on default.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    100% True.
    fightclub there is a tutorial on how to auto-start the network when you boot up. If you follow it you won't do any damage to your BT.
    But it's better that it doesn't start on default.
    I understand that it is bad or without damage to your BT. But the boot up manager aka bum can be used for other services. And yes i know how to auto-start network I've made a youtube video about how to do that but i was just wondering why isnt bum in BT. I'd suggest it because there are other services other then auto-networking. At this moment I cannot think of any but im sure others might. I like to mess with Linux and I usually mess it up and have to re-install and its not a big hassle. But one less thing i have to manually install. And also let us the users decide if we want to aut-start network or other services, im just saying it would be nice to have bum installed even if the wicd manager isnt started. not all ove us use bt for penetation or hacking. i honestly like the look and feel of BT compared to other disto's. Im just saying.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fightclub View Post
    i was just wondering why isnt bum in BT....not all ove us use bt for penetation or hacking.
    And yet that is exactly what it is designed for. The mods have said before that this is not a regular user distro, and not having the services start all the time makes for a nice and slick testing machine when you need to bounce one up quickly.

If you really really care, create a file called runner.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    find /root/.booter -name '*.sh' -exec sh {} \;
    A directory called .booter:
    Code:
    mkdir /root/.booter
    And add a record to your crontab:
    Code:
    gitsnik@bt # crontab -e
    @reboot sh /root/runner.sh
    Then you can add whatever scripts you like to the .booter, and the team don't have to add software to the distro that they (obviously) have neglected to put in for a reason.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Or just use the following to automatically start any service script from /etc/init.d/:

Code:
    update-rc.d <service_name> defaults
    The exact same process that is used to start networking automatically....

Why on Earth would you be using BackTrack if you're not performing pentesting? That's what its designed for. I can literally see no other reason for a beginner to be using it, there are a number of features that BackTrack has in order to better perform this type of work that really hurt normal usability, which for a beginner makes it a bad choice for a normal desktop style system. If you want a regular use Linux distro there are plenty of other choices out there...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Posts 5 and 6 are why I like linux in general, so many ways to skin the proverbial old cat.

OP if you want someone to take your recommendation serious then it would be a good idea to try and sell it a little better than "At this moment I cannot think of any " reason. Otherwise you might as well talk to your feet.
    Here's a starter: Why is it essential to the professional pentesting community?

[QUOTE=Gitsnik;168212]And yet that is exactly what it is designed for....QUOTE]

Yes i know what BT was designed for. Also notice how i didnt put the boot up manager in the request form, but rather in here with beginners form. I'm not asking how to do scripts, I already know how to do that. Im just wonder why isn't bum in BT. Which has already been answered. If i really did want to suggest it to the developers I would of put this form in the suggestion form. Also yes this distro isn't ment for the normal user but you have to addmit it does have a slick feel that others don't. And every linux box is able to be molded to any one's desire.

Ok so bum isnt installed in this distro, thats fine!! I also know how to get the bare bones of BT. But how would I go about adding it to the distro? Or maybe instead of asking I should read up like I've always been doing. I use a computer to use a computer.

To add "stuff" to your distro before turning it into either a bootable usb stick or a burned dvd iso see here:
    Customize BT4 | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution

Smile Re: Boot Up Manager aka bum

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    To add "stuff" to your distro before turning it into either a bootable usb stick or a burned dvd iso see here:
    Customize BT4 | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution

Awesome, thank you I didn't know why I didnt see it. Thanks for directing me.