Thread: Netgear WG111v2 in VMWare monitor mode freezes BT, booting from disk works fine? :S

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Netgear WG111v2 in VMWare monitor mode freezes BT, booting from disk works fine? :S

Hi Guys,

I'm using VMWare, with the BT4 final VMWare files (downloaded from official site)

whenever i try to put my netgear wg111v2 into monitor mode, it tries and just locks up. I'm unable to run any other commands until i remove the adapter.

After it has been removed, it says the device has been put into monitor mode, but trying to put it back in, it's not listed in airmon.

This is driving me absoloutely crazy, so i would greatley appreciate it, if somebody could help me?

Thanks guys.

Default Re: Netgear WG111v2 in VMWare monitor mode freezes BT, booting from disk works fine?

Hello, matt91
    Seems to be more of a VM problem you are having there, if the live cd seems to run fine, might have to bite the bullet and keep using the live cd, I,m still new at back track so don't take that as a final answer to the problem, I had to partition my hard drive and all that cause VM was causing me to go bald. Oh and another thing, you might not want to double post, it can cause you alot of trouble in this forum if it has not already.
    Last edited by dromar421; 07-16-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Default Re: Netgear WG111v2 in VMWare monitor mode freezes BT, booting from disk works fine?

What kind of hardware is that Netgear? USB/PCMCIA or Built in?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

WG111 : Netgear <-- looks like usb.

@matt91
    i would suggest you download and install virtualbox and install backtrack4 there on harddisk then install the virtualbox tools *works fine with vanilla bt4 final* and try to connect and use the stick then. If it works its vmwares fault or more probably the tools in the vmware-image of backtrack are not working *i had a case where that happened*.

after you tried it with virtualbox and it still fails then there is something "strange" happening like hardwaredrivers for usb not correctly installed on your host-machine or so *just a guess*

good luck

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for your input.

As for the double post, i apologise, I thought something had gone wrong as it hadn't posted, but i misread the "You're message wont be posted until a moderator has read it" blablabla.

I found a solution, I have it working in vmware.

I also had to make sure my adapter was properly working with my host system, before it could work successfully in vmware.

I then have to run these commands in the following order:

airmon-ng stop wlan0
    ifconfig wlan0
    airmon-ng start wlan0

Then it works.