Thread: AP Connection Problem

Just burned his ISO

Question AP Connection Problem

Hello,

First things first, BT2 is the best and I am a very satisfied user, thanks!

1. Main Question

Ok now on to the subject. I have an AP, Siemens SpeedStream 6500.
    1 week ago I experimented and cracked the WEP 128 bit key through using another computer as authed client and I have been using it for a week now.

But suddenly yesterday, I got disconnected from the AP and couldnt connect to it again. I have no clue what happened, its still there with good power. I tried to connect through Windows XP aswell but it wont even try to connect, it just says straight out "Cannot connect to the preferred network" or "Network is no longer in range ..." though I know its the same WEP key. I have checked the AP and I dont think there is any MAC filter, but in any case I tried with my connected computers MAC and it still doesnt work.

Its very annoying when you try to connect to your own network and it just doesnt connect not even tries to. Well enough whining, I have been thinking about this problem and searched the web looking for some more information but I cant find the answer. I hope you can assist me with some interesting thoughts, thanks for any ideas!

2. Sub Question

My sharemate has an iMac and is sharing her internet connection. I can find her network and I know the WEP key but I get the same problem as when I try to connect to my AP on both my computers. Just a little extra question if you have any thoughts I would appreciate it, thanks again!

Cheers
    Robert

if your machine won't connect to 2 different wireless networks, using either XP or Backtrack... then its very unlikely to be a Backtrack issue.

Have you got another wireless card you could try, as it sounds to me like it might be faulty hardware? I take it you can still connect to your wireless access point from your other client?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    if your machine won't connect to 2 different wireless networks, using either XP or Backtrack... then its very unlikely to be a Backtrack issue.

Have you got another wireless card you could try, as it sounds to me like it might be faulty hardware? I take it you can still connect to your wireless access point from your other client?
    2. Sub Question

This question is solved. It appears as you cant connect to an iMac, which is sharing internet connection, with a PC. Now we use a router instead and then I can connect with my wireless card. That answers the question you asked me about faulty hardware.

1. Main Question

Ok so no faulty hardware. Well then I have a question, maybe someone changed the WEP key? lets say if someone would do that is it possible for it to act like it does? in BT2 it just says cant connect, and in windows it doesnt even connect just says cant connect without trying to aquire network address. I wonder if someone is very familiar with this kind of behaviour and what it means, if its the WEP or MAC filter?

Cheers
    Robert