OK, here's the deal. I was trying my hand at cracking WEP and WPA on my home network. Fortunately, those efforts have been successful and I'm quite happy about it.

However, during the process of cracking I was using Crunch to create wordlists. As you all know, wordlists 5 characters or longer are pretty big files and take up lots of space. So, after creating some of those wordlists and using them, I delete them by sending them to the trash. Later, when I tried to create new wordlists, I got a "no disk space left" error. Realizing that I haven't emptied the trash, I went and did just that. That seemed to solve the problem.

Now, after a couple more times, the trash doesn't seem to get emptied. It would allow me to empty the trash but I'd still get a "no disk space left" error when trying to create new wordlists. Finally, thinking that all that was needed was a good reboot, I rebooted the system. Now, I can no longer log into Backtrack 4. I know that the only way to really solve this boot problem is simply to reinstall backtrack. So....

My question is: What is it that caused this and how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks....

PS: I haven't exactly learned to update the apps and packages on backtrack yet so...if you don't mind, could you tell me what the commands are? I'm sure it's apt-get something but can I be sure that it'll update EVERYTHING?