Thread: No Boot after install "Gave up waiting for root device" - BT4

Just burned his ISO

Default No Boot after install "Gave up waiting for root device" - BT4

I'm having trouble booting BT4 for the first time on a multi-boot system. Receiving this error during boot:
    ==================================
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Check root= (di the systwem wait for the right device?)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/a76c7835-eb6f-459f-a891-496f16bc00eb does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v.1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-lubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)
    ==================================
    BT4 is installed to a logical partition on an extended partition of the drive. Here is the partition info:

/dev/sda1 ntfs winxp (working)
    /dev/sda3/ extended
    /dev/sda5 ext2 /boot (for Ubuntu 9.10 on sda6)
    /dev/sda6 ext4 / (Ubuntu 9.10, also working)
    /dev/sda8 ext3 / (for bt4 install)
    unallocated free space for later
    /dev/sda7 swap
    /dev/sda2 ext3 /home

I've tried installing to sda8 by using the "Install.sh" script and also by following the directions here:

How to install BackTrack 3 or 4 to hard drive along with Windows XP, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse on Lenovo Thinkpad X60 | HydTech

Also, I've played around with changing the rootdelay= and other parameters in the GRUB menu with no luck. I've also unplugged all USB devices (just a mini reciever for a mouse) and turning off the wireless and bluetooth.

I am able to enter commands in busybox at the initframfs prompt but unsure of what I need to do here to get a working system. Have been digging thru the forums with no luck yet. Any help, advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! thx.
    Last edited by guitonoklops9; 07-17-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: No Boot after install "Gave up waiting for root device" - BT4

Start by working through the forum faq section to ensure you have a proper install medium. (md5sum etc.)
    Then check in the how-to section for more info. Also check that your hardware is compatible via the HCL here and or against ubuntu 8.10

Just burned his ISO

thanks for your reply. I've looked through all the "how tos" and "FAQ's" now.

I've already checked my MD5 hash and it is good. Also BT4 runs from the live dvd no prob.

Basically, I've followed the instructions found here to install:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-howtos/96.htm

However, I did not let the BT4 install a new MBR as grub2 was already present and working from the Ubuntu 9.10 partition. I'm not sure that GRUB2 is the problem b/c I can select the BT4 partition in grub and it begins the boot process (but halts while waiting for the root device to respond...).

Also, found this post in the HCL:

[WIKI]http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...y-list/266.htm[/WIKI]

I am working on a Dell Latitude D630 also. My machine is slightly less powerful but should be compatible. Also, I have an upgraded wireless card with the Atheros chipset. should be good....

one other thing....Dell D630 should work well with Ubuntu 8.10, says here that it works perfectly:

[ubuntu] upgrade to ubuntu 8.10 on dell latitude D630 - perfect - Ubuntu Forums
    Last edited by guitonoklops9; 07-17-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Just burned his ISO

UPDATE: problem solved. Turned out to be a strange problem with incorrect UUID entries in the GRUB2. Funny thing was, reinstalling GRUB didn't fix it, nor complete format of both the Ubuntu and BackTrack4 partitions. No matter how I changed things update-grub didn't update the correct path to root. (viewing the grub menu entries the first UUID would be right and second would persistently display the UUID of a long gone partition.)

To solve I ended up creating a 40_custom grub entry to point to the correct BackTrack partition and this seemed to work fine. I then disabled the grub2 OSprober and was good to go.

Just burned his ISO dallatorretdu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitonoklops9 View Post
    UPDATE: problem solved. Turned out to be a strange problem with incorrect UUID entries in the GRUB2. Funny thing was, reinstalling GRUB didn't fix it, nor complete format of both the Ubuntu and BackTrack4 partitions. No matter how I changed things update-grub didn't update the correct path to root. (viewing the grub menu entries the first UUID would be right and second would persistently display the UUID of a long gone partition.)

To solve I ended up creating a 40_custom grub entry to point to the correct BackTrack partition and this seemed to work fine. I then disabled the grub2 OSprober and was good to go.
    i'm sorry, i've the same problem, i'm running it on a USB.
    i haven't understand how you fixed that error, if you can explain better to me...
    tank you