Thread: Hi im new around with the big Question !

Just burned his ISO

Question Hi im new around with the big Question !

Hi Folks i know ive seen my quetion around but didnt get the answer i wanted,
    Im am new here and going to buy a new usb wireless nic carc so here what i have seen up to now
    1- Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW USB Wireless Adapter w/ threaded RP-SMA Jack & 5dBi Antenna Chipset Ralink 3070 also known as RT 3070.

2- Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW USB Wireless WiFi Adapter + Antenna. Long-Range. Upgrade from 500mW Chipset RealTek 8187 also known as RTL8187L

3- Hawking Technology's HWUG1, 2.4Ghz Wireless-G USB 2.0

4- at the moment my laptop got a built-in Driver Description
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN chip Intel Ibex Peak-M PM55

Thank you in advance

StarRyder

Wish you all Well

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Hi im new around with the big Question !

Quote Originally Posted by StarRyder View Post
    Hi Folks i know ive seen my quetion around but didnt get the answer i wanted,
    Im am new here and going to buy a new usb wireless nic carc so here what i have seen up to now
    1- Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW USB Wireless Adapter w/ threaded RP-SMA Jack & 5dBi Antenna Chipset Ralink 3070 also known as RT 3070.

2- Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW USB Wireless WiFi Adapter + Antenna. Long-Range. Upgrade from 500mW Chipset RealTek 8187 also known as RTL8187L

3- Hawking Technology's HWUG1, 2.4Ghz Wireless-G USB 2.0

4- at the moment my laptop got a built-in Driver Description
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN chip Intel Ibex Peak-M PM55

Thank you in advance

StarRyder

Wish you all Well
    beware: this is a flame whar because everyone thinks his choice is the best.
    Anyway, 2W should be more powerfull but less sensitive than 1W.
    not always "bigger" means "better".
    I fell to suggest you the option #2.

You are saying you already have a built in Intel AGN card, correct? At least that is what the driver is for. Why do you feel the need to get a different wireless card, and possibly one that is worse? From what I understand the one you have installed in your laptop already is fine, if not a better performing card than any USB variant. The one in your laptop is using antenna's that are build into your monitor, which would be far more sensitive than ones that are limited to a USB stick. If you want to upgrade your wireless card, look into minipci cards, which will replace the one you have. However, a warning, you will probably not find one all that much better than what you already have and replacing one is not easy if you have never opened up your laptop before. Getting to the card can be hard if it is not already behind an externally accessible cover.

So, to sum up, stick with your currently installed card. Option #4.
    Last edited by Polorboy; 07-31-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

so polorboy i guess you checked whether or not the Advanced-N 6200 AGN chipset has patched drivers that will inject? If you are using backtrack 4 it would seem that you are or want to be a penetration tester and at some point in time you might want to inject packets into a wireless router. Also since Backtrack 4 is a linux OS linux drivers have to be used with the chipset as well. So last time I checked the offensive security website was still referring people to the alfa as the go to usb device for BT4 and pen testing. Also since it has a sma connection you can add a higher gain antenna for more range. Hell i built a biquad from a satellite dish and have it connected to my alfa. Unless the OP has their own N router that they are going to use at home, don't get the NH model, its a pain in the ass with the drivers, the regular b/g model AWUS036H is plug and play with Backtrack 4 and the patched drivers that come with the live cd and the vmware image also inject very reliably.
    plus if you do ever want to run BT$ or some other flavor of linux as a vmware image you can't put any on board wireless into monitor mode, so usb is the way to go.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

This is the exact reason we have a forum faq section where questions such as this are answered.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.