Thread: Boots from CD on one laptop, but locks up the other

Just burned his ISO

Default Boots from CD on one laptop, but locks up the other

Well,

I've been playing around with BT2 all afternoon and just realized that the laptop I'm using has the iwp2100, which isn't capable of injection.

My other laptop has iwp2200 with injection. The problem is that the laptop with the 2200 won't boot from CD. I get to the Boot: area, but when it starts to install it just goes to a black screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

IS the second machine set to boot off the cd drive in the BIOS? (Dumb question I know, but start at the beginning).

What speed did you burn at? I typically burn all my data CD's at 8x or less. Some older drives (heck some newer drives) have problems reading discs burned at ultra-high speeds. Theo other thing that springs to mind is the media you used. When you burned the disc, was it on a brand name disc or one of those 100-pack discs for $9.99? It does make a difference if you quality brand name discs.

Is the hardware exactly the same between the two machines? A lot of OEM's 'multi-source' their hardware. You could have a Matsushita drive in one and a Pioneer drive in the other.

Just trying to help you out.

In the immortal words of one my good friends:
    'I think you have a bad burn"

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply.

The CD was burned at 8x on Memorex media and fires right up on the (surprisingly) older laptop. The newer laptop is set to boot to CD, gets to the Boot: section, then goes black after I hit Enter. I've left it for 15 minutes at a time just to make sure its not slow, but no luck.

I believe the drives are different on the two machines the non-booting laptop has an NEC 6650A.

The good news is, I picked up a Netgear 511t and am injecting at about 100/s. Now I just need to figure out how to speed that up (but that's a new thread). If I start a download on the Client PC they jump to 600/s, so I know it's possible.....

Thanks for the help!

Just burned his ISO

That's one of the many wonders of Linux. It runs great on older hardware.

I usually burn at 4x, but even when I have burned at 8x or 16x I haven't had any problems. Does the newer laptop boot from other discs such as Windows XP ok? If so, then all I can really suggest is trying an external burner (if available) or burning again at a slower speed and then have the software verify the burn after completion.

There have been times where a given machine wouldn't boot one ISO but would boot another just fine. All you can do is make a blood sacrifice to the Tech Gods and hope they hear the pleas of a mortal.