Thread: VMWare Server on BT4 final

Just burned his ISO

Question VMWare Server on BT4 final

Hi all,

I've seen (somewhere) a rather nice-looking VMWare virtual machine image for those who want to run BT4 as a VM. How about an update of the distro that lets us install VMWare Server on a BT4 host? We intend to use it as a teaching resource - hosting unpatched Windows machines as VMs for the BT4 host to play with...

I've seen a few forum threads that show how to make this work, (now going with the plan here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html) but unless I'm much mistaken I'm rebuilding/modifying big chunks of the kernel to achieve it (I am a Linux noob, but I've been around computers long enough to know what a 'make' command is traditionally for...)

So how's about a BT4 distro that's all ready for VMWare server? Big Ask? Maybe there aren't enough of us who do this to merit it...?

Cheers,

SJ

PS - I posted earlier about an unusual keyboard issue... The post hasn't shown up yet - if a moderator rejected me do I get told? Anyway - now I have the fix so if the question goes up I'll append the fix.

Default Re: VMWare Server on BT4 final

Not sure about server but I installed workstation ok on BT4 and setup an XP virtual machine with no problems and I have never used VMware before.

Is server that much of a pain to install?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: VMWare Server on BT4 final

Quote Originally Posted by promark View Post
    Not sure about server but I installed workstation ok on BT4 and setup an XP virtual machine with no problems and I have never used VMware before.

Is server that much of a pain to install?
    Good to know Workstation works OK - but VMware Server is a whole lot cheaper to license than Workstation (go figure)...

Server works properly now, after following the instructions and doing a few bits of remediation afterwards. I guess my issue was more that, as a newcomer, I had no idea *what* I was changing in the core of the OS to make it all work...

In any case - no real issue to resolve, except my tendency to blithely ask for the moon on a stick...

SJ