Thread: Help getting started

Just burned his ISO

Default Help getting started

I just got a Asus 1000HE 2 weeks ago. It has the Ralink RT2790. I've been reading and watching videos about Backtrack 4 and really want to learn. I have Ubuntu 10.04 NBR on my netbook and installed the Backtrack tools. I just need some help getting started. I haven't been able to find out if my card will work for injection or not. Alot of the searches i do come back with results that are a year or two old. I leaning towards just getting a new card(unless there is a definite way that my card will work for all things Backtrack) I would like to replace the internal card so I don't have to have a external device to worry about. Is there a card that is native with Backtrack that will fit in my netbook? Right now when I run airmon-ng it says chipset unknown and driver rt2860. When I start monitor mode it says it's enabled but it doesn't give me a interface like mon0 or something, so I just use wlan0 and it kinda works. When I do aireplay fragment i get "no answer repeating..." and when i do aireplay fakeauth it just keeps sending request and then ends unsuccessful. Just so everyone knows i'm obviously new to backtrack and pretty new to linux in general so if there is a driver that you suggest i'll need to know how to install it.

Default Re: Help getting started

I don't like to discourage new users but if you don't have any Linux experience and can't figure out how to find a card that's compatible with aircrack-ng/BackTrack despite all the information that's available here and on the Internet then you might want to spend some more time using Ubuntu first. BackTrack requires you to have some Linux skills to use effectively.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Just go to walmart and buy a USB adapter. The one i bought, i know for a fact works, is NetGear Wireless -G adapter. It will have "WG111US*" on the bottom of the box. It was about $36+tax. Hope that helps. FYI your better off looking through the forums and not posting. Even tho the forum is for beginners i never seen anyone help us.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDemon View Post
    FYI your better off looking through the forums and not posting. Even tho the forum is for beginners i never seen anyone help us.
    You are definitely better off searching the forums for things that have been repeated ad-nauseum, yes. Come up with something that hasn't been asked before dozens of times and you will find us much more accommodating.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDemon View Post
    Even tho the forum is for beginners i never seen anyone help us.
    Your definition of a Beginner may be different from this forums definition. Its not meant for Beginners to Linux, it's meant for Beginners to BackTrack, which as a dedicated pentesting distro requires a higher level of skill than a desktop distro. The same goes for your definition of "help". I think telling someone not to run before they can walk is helpful.

Its only been a few days since I spent so much time going over all of this here, are we really retreading this ground already?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Topic covered thread closed.
    All members of the forum are encouraged to use the forum search feature as well as search engines.
    Any recommendations for any hardware can be found in the HCL section. All others not posted are either not recommended by other users or not tested.
    Members are also required to use descriptive titles when creating threads.