Thread: Credentials For Using Backtrack

Default Credentials For Using Backtrack

Hi all,

What is your recommended path for using backtrack?
    I am currently only CCNA certified.
    I am reasonably familiar with TCP/IP though I cant tell you what exactly is in a TCP header or what is written in the RFC.
    What Linux certfication is recommended?
    RCHE? LPI?
    BTW, what certification do you all have?
    TIA

Default Re: Credentials For Using Backtrack

That is a very open ended question. It really depends on what you are using BT4 for...

It provides a framework for many avenues of pen-testing so if you want to focus solely on network related tasks then there is nothing wrong with that and the tools will be there. However if you want to expand into reverse engineering of malware you can do that too...

OSCP, OSCE and OSWP are the BackTrack Certifications. I dont know if I would necessarily recommend any generic Linux certs as a path towards learning to use BackTrack. I dont have any general purpose/sysadmin Linux certifications, I learned my Linux skills partially by taking some classes in University, but mainly from just using Linux a lot over a period of several years - as a personal system, by managing Linux based servers and by using Linux to perform security assessments and incident response work. If a career path where you use BackTrack interests you I'd be aiming for the BackTrack certs already mentioned, as well as other security related certifications.

These links may help.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...use-fully.html
    Online Security Training from the Creators of BackTrack
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Ok, in that case how do you defined the "recommended" certification before embarking on offensive security courses?