Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost funcitionality of Vmware tools after kernel update (shared folders etc..)

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Lost funcitionality of Vmware tools after kernel update (shared folders etc..)

I am using Vmware Fusion 3.10 and after the latest updates to BT4 I have lost shared folders and some additional functionality. I reinstalled vmware tools and still have issues. Interestingly I get the following messages when I try to reconfigure vmware tools:

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.34/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
    MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34'
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34/arch/x86/Makefile:39: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34'
    make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only'

The filesystem driver (vmhgfs module) is used only for the shared folder
    feature. The rest of the software provided by VMware Tools is designed to work
    independently of this feature.

If you wish to have the shared folders feature, you can install the driver by
    running vmware-config-tools.pl again after making sure that gcc, binutils, make
    and the kernel sources for your running kernel are installed on your machine.
    These packages are available on your distribution's installation CD.

I confirmed that gcc, binutils, make and the kernel sources were installed and yet I get the same error messages when trying to reconfigure. I am wondering if anyone has fixed this problem.....

Default Re: Lost funcitionality of Vmware tools after kernel update (shared folders etc..)

Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Lost funcitionality of Vmware tools after kernel update (shared folders etc..)

Lupin thanks for the prompt reply and the good link. I followed the upgrade instructions and still have the same problem.

I still get the following message for the folder sharing (and similar messages for other vmtool functions):

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.34/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
    MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34'
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34/arch/x86/Makefile:39: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.34'
    make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only'

The filesystem driver (vmhgfs module) is used only for the shared folder
    feature. The rest of the software provided by VMware Tools is designed to work
    independently of this feature.

If you wish to have the shared folders feature, you can install the driver by
    running vmware-config-tools.pl again after making sure that gcc, binutils, make
    and the kernel sources for your running kernel are installed on your machine.
    These packages are available on your distribution's installation CD.

Several other components of the tools work fine including video....

Do those files referred to in the error message exist? Are they maybe in the wrong place?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

i also have the same problem here any help guys

Something I just noticed when upgrading the kernel on my BackTrack 4 install - the /lib/modules/2.6.34/build directory was linked to the wrong location (to the kernel headers instead of the source) after following the instructions in that link I posted above. This stopped me from installing the newest Nvidia driver, and based on the output above I think this is the problem you are having too.

Assuming you have already followed the steps in the link above, resolve like so:
    Code:
    rm /lib/modules/2.6.34/build
    ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.6.34/build

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Something I just noticed when upgrading the kernel on my BackTrack 4 install - the /lib/modules/2.6.34/build directory was linked to the wrong location (to the kernel headers instead of the source) after following the instructions in that link I posted above. This stopped me from installing the newest Nvidia driver, and based on the output above I think this is the problem you are having too.

Assuming you have already followed the steps in the link above, resolve like so:
    Code:
    Man u r the best after a week of searching and trying to solve the problem it was as simple as this ... i don't know how did i missed it .. THANK U SO MUCH
    Last edited by Dirwaz; 07-14-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Just burned their ISO

Lupin,

Thanks for the fix. After changing the links as you instructed the vmware tools configured fine and all of the tools work now.

I have one concern though. During the configuration of the tools the following warning message was displayed:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.34/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

I wonder whether this is peculiar to the vmtools install or if further linking is required.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcred View Post
    Lupin,

Thanks for the fix. After changing the links as you instructed the vmware tools configured fine and all of the tools work now.

I have one concern though. During the configuration of the tools the following warning message was displayed:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.34/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

I wonder whether this is peculiar to the vmtools install or if further linking is required.
    This is not particular to vmtools, I believe it applies to all external module builds. Google the error without the file path and you will see plenty of examples. That file (Module.symvers) can be missing when external modules are built with no significant ill effects. More information here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post

Code:

Thanks lupin this also resolved my issues as well.
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast