Thread: Driver or config issue? Wireless not playing nice Vmware WS+BT4 and us036H -pics

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Driver or config issue? Wireless not playing nice Vmware WS+BT4 and us036H -pics

I was able to figure this crap out last year when i was screwing with this. My issues last time came down to ndiwrapper.
    Any event.
    I've got a dell studio i'm working with now. Win7 with Wmware workstation and BT4.
    I can gain interent access through the bridged onboard adapter.
    My issue is getting the alfa awus036H up and going which is a USB attached adapter.

I was able to attach the Realtek through the USB icon to the virtual host. Though BT4 identifeis it in the lower corner there are no lights on the adapter working.
    When i run Wcid only the bridged adapter shows up and doesn't reconize the wireless network.

When i run iwconfig I can see the wlan0 adapter.

But when I run iwconfig -a it identifies nothing there.

So I can see the attached USB in the lower corner and it blinks but the adapter is doing nothing. No green light on the adapter.
    So What am I missing here?

Default Re: Driver or config issue? Wireless not playing nice Vmware WS+BT4 and us036H -pics

Maybe you have to "up" the adapter:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    Also, check if wicd is set to use wlan0 as the wireless device, under preferences.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

Default Re: Driver or config issue? Wireless not playing nice Vmware WS+BT4 and us036H -pics

yeah and the lights on the alfa usually don't go on when its being used my a linux os... at least not yet.
    keep us posted and don't mess with the drivers the ones for the realtech come pre configured in bt4
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

After extensive hair pulling I found it came down to something really dumb.
    I unplugged and replugged the Alfa while in WMware and everything popped up.
    So it seemed that while we perform the /etc/init.d/networking start command on boot up. That after I entered in BT4 and the USB adapter was reconized in teh bottom corner that it still required to be unplugged and replugged and then everything pops up. Still trying to figure out the reasoning but at least i can see traffic.