Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nmap issue

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: Nmap issue

Ok so as far as I can tell - any time you perform an Nmap scan you get a hit back of port 21 open.

Clearly it is not always misrepresenting that as you can connect to an FTP server in the post above me.

I still do not understand why you insist on changing IP address'. 1.1.1.1 is owned by my local NIC and as far as I am aware doesn't run FTP services. Even if it does the 500 error is slightly different to what you appear to be experiencing.

So, to try and assist even if I am concerned for the legitimacy and the lack of any real information/packet traces/log files/dumps/etc. your problem appears to be with the machine you are scanning from. That's if I have the right idea about what you are getting at of course.

It's possible that the router you use or switching tech is causing the problem, though I couldn't say for certain.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Default Re: Nmap issue

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    It's possible that the router you use or switching tech is causing the problem, though I couldn't say for certain.
    I tend to agree with my friend Gitsnik. It looks like a router is causing problems here.

But not necessarily a physical one. My guess is you are using Virtualbox NAT, instead of bridging.

If that's true, then your guest OS is connected to a virtual router provided by Virtualbox, as per:

"A virtual machine with NAT enabled acts much like a real computer that connects to the Internet through a router. The "router", in this case, is the VirtualBox networking engine, which maps traffic from and to the virtual machine transparently. The disadvantage of NAT mode is that, much like a private network behind a router, the virtual machine is invisible and unreachable from the outside internet; you cannot run a server this way unless you set up port forwarding (described below)."

Extracted from Chapter*6.*Virtual networking

And it's that virtual router who is actually reporting ftp as open to the outer world. If I'm right, then either change your vbox settings to bridged networking or carefully check NAT port forwarding. If I'm not, then try harder
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12