Thread: Backtrack after HDD Installation - still LiveCD?

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack after HDD Installation - still LiveCD?

Hey Guys,

I've already used BT4 as VM, Persistent USB and HDD Install on my old computer. When I got my new, with 1GB HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3) with AHCI I wanted to reinstall it. So I grabbed the *.iso Image, used Unetbootin on my USB-Stick and used install.sh to install it on my HDD. It worked without any error, grub has been properly installed. When I start BT4 now, I need to login - so its not 100% like LiveCD. But on Desktop there is still install.sh, I can't change resolution to 1680x1050. Also, when I try to enable ethernet, using '/etc/init.d/networking start", which worked on my old PC, it just gives me some eth0 connections to 255.255.255.255 with interval, then says some error and continues. I don't know what went wrong. I've attached a screenshot (KSnapshot) of the desktop of HDD Install, showing resolution change screen.

(ImageBanana - snapshot1.png)
    I hope you know what to do.

Greetings

Default Re: Backtrack after HDD Installation - still LiveCD?

Well, since the BT4 is installed in your hardware, you need to install and/or configure, the right driver to your video card.

Have you tried this before ?

Bye.

install.sh remains on desktop, you can remove it if you want to

Just burned his ISO

Oh, thanks... ^^
    Now to the other questions:
    Why is there no 1680x1050 chooseable if I got that on Windows?
    and...
    Shouldn't eth0 work when a normal LAN Cable is plugged in?
    If you want and need it, I will make another screen of the network establishing errors, too. ;D
    Greetings

Just burned his ISO

if u already used a hdd install before u should know that install.sh will be left on the /root
    now for your graphics and networking problem you should give more info about devices you are using so we can think of a solution. bt is linux @ the end and if u are using a hdd install i think you should have some linux knowledge to fully use your hardware and your best friend is google

Just burned his ISO

Hmm, thanks for that.
    Thank you, that helped me a bit. ^^
    But I still can't change resolution, and ever when I try to enable ethernet (sure, cable plugged in, works without driver on Windows 7, Mainboard is ASUS M4A87TD) it gives me the following error:

Needs to have something to do with the installation, on old PC it worked perfectly with BT4, same cable, same router.
    Greetings.

The DHCPDISCOVER lines are network broadcasts where your eth0 is asking for a DHCP address. Is the other end of the wire connected to a network device?

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, sure it is. It's a normal router, LAN, and worked before ;D

I just got the clue that it might help to set a static IP. There are more PCs in the network, connected to this router. (The computers I want to test for vulnerability.)
    € FYI: Didn't worked with static IP D=

''fish'd back up''

Still this problem, changing resolv.conf to another nameserver doesn't even gave me the interval messages, just said failed =(
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-03-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Your backtrack machine is trying to ask your DHCP server for an IP address and it is not getting a response. Most likely causes would be either your DHCP server (probably your router) is having a problem, you do not have the machine connected to it properly, or you have a bad cable.

First check one of your working machines to see if they have a static ip address. If it does not then try renewing it's ip address to confirm your dhcp server is working. If it is working try taking the cable out of that machine and plugging it into your backtrack machine and run the /etc/init.d/networking start. That should help narrow down where your problem is.