Thread: Gsky USB Wireless Adaptor, bargin

Hybrid View

Default Gsky USB Wireless Adaptor, bargin

Hi there,
    Im fairly new to backtrack but was using a belkin pci wireless adaptor with not alot of joy, looked at buying an alfa, but the price put me off, anyway had a look round ebay and found this little number

GSKY Realtek RL8187L USB Wireless Network Card Adapter on eBay (end time 11-Jul-10 07:07:51 BST)

Works straight out the box (well it didnt come in one, but you know what i mean), does the lot monitor mode, packet injection and shows the power too.

Took about 5 days to turn up from Hong Kong, which i didnt think was bad at all.
    Hope this is of help to someone out there. Chris

Default Re: Gsky USB Wireless Adaptor, bargin

Thanks for providing this info christ044.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Smile Re: Gsky USB Wireless Adaptor, bargin

I have the same product it works great. Its a cheaper versin of alpho500 card,but it works for me.
    I use the antena it came with. Tried with other antennas but it the range doesn get beter, the antenna is matched to the card,
    Quote Originally Posted by christ044 View Post
    Hi there,
    Im fairly new to backtrack but was using a belkin pci wireless adaptor with not alot of joy, looked at buying an alfa, but the price put me off, anyway had a look round ebay and found this little number

GSKY Realtek RL8187L USB Wireless Network Card Adapter on eBay (end time 11-Jul-10 07:07:51 BST)

Works straight out the box (well it didnt come in one, but you know what i mean), does the lot monitor mode, packet injection and shows the power too.

Took about 5 days to turn up from Hong Kong, which i didnt think was bad at all.
    Hope this is of help to someone out there. Chris

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Gsky USB Wireless Adaptor VS Alfa,

The Gsky adapter looks a lot like the Alfa model, it also boasts the same maximum output of 500mw. We went ahead and got one of the Gsky adapters online, after all if there is an adapter out there that can perform as well as the much heralded Alfa long range adapter, it is certainly something we would want to inventory.

The first thing we noticed when we hooked it up and looked at some of the documentation was that claims on some web sites that it is a clone of the Alfa AWUS036H 500 mw adapter are not true. The Alfa adapter has a Realtek 8187L chipset, while the Gsky has the 8187B chipset, also from Realtek but with lower receive sensitivity. We should note for Linux users that the Alfa 500mw adapter is plug and play in Backtrack 3, while the Gsky with the 8187b chipset is not- it was not recognized by Backtrack 3. We also found out that with the Gsky you can only transmit at high output when using 802.11b throughput or lower. If you want to have an 802.11g connection (54 mbps), the output drops to just 30mw (yes, that's thirty, not 300).

Just burned his ISO

Life saver, the Alfa AWUS036H is simply too expensive.

I have ordered one and will be testing it with the asus eeepc 1001HA (as for some reason is is the only eepc that dose not support BT4 wirless)

many thanks, and i will report back in a few days, mind telling uss whay laptop your running?

-zim.

Quote Originally Posted by zimsabre View Post
    Life saver, the Alfa AWUS036H is simply too expensive.

I have ordered one and will be testing it with the asus eeepc 1001HA (as for some reason is is the only eepc that dose not support BT4 wirless)

many thanks, and i will report back in a few days, mind telling uss whay laptop your running?

-zim.
    Im only running an old samsung v20 laptop, and it works spot on mate. Hope your having fun with yours now too :-))

Quote Originally Posted by binbashLetsgetsmashed View Post
    The Gsky adapter looks a lot like the Alfa model, it also boasts the same maximum output of 500mw. We went ahead and got one of the Gsky adapters online, after all if there is an adapter out there that can perform as well as the much heralded Alfa long range adapter, it is certainly something we would want to inventory.

The first thing we noticed when we hooked it up and looked at some of the documentation was that claims on some web sites that it is a clone of the Alfa AWUS036H 500 mw adapter are not true. The Alfa adapter has a Realtek 8187L chipset, while the Gsky has the 8187B chipset, also from Realtek but with lower receive sensitivity. We should note for Linux users that the Alfa 500mw adapter is plug and play in Backtrack 3, while the Gsky with the 8187b chipset is not- it was not recognized by Backtrack 3. We also found out that with the Gsky you can only transmit at high output when using 802.11b throughput or lower. If you want to have an 802.11g connection (54 mbps), the output drops to just 30mw (yes, that's thirty, not 300).
    Think you have bought the wrong one, they two versions of the gsky box, one with the rtl8187l chipset and one with the rtl8187b chipset.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 08-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by zimsabre View Post
    asus eeepc 1001HA (as for some reason is is the only eepc that dose not support BT4 wirless)
    Spent the past 40 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with my 1001ha until I decided to cave-in and search the forums for answers. My heart sank a little after reading that...

Just burned his ISO

I bought one of these and it does seem to work fine in Linux.
    Monitor mode and injection.

I Mod Edit: We do not support other operating systems here. CD.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 11-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Perhaps open the unit up, and take a picture of the chipset used. That would remove most doubt?

Thats starnge mine shows up as an rtl8187 driver and looks totally the same.