Thread: How to get Kismet started?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default How to get Kismet started?

Hallo,

finally i got the WLan running under Backtrack in the newest Version. I have a laptor with an "intel 2200bg" chipset. Only Kismet won't work. I saw that a lot of users have this problem. So I tried everything I found here, but it still won't work.
    I have a tried to start it via: start-kismet-ng -> permission denied.
    Then I searched for this error and found this:
    # chmod +x/usr/bin/start-kismet-ng
    # /usr/bin/start-kismet-ng

I entered those two lines in the shell, but I still get the permission denied error.

When I just write "kismet" in the command line i get an error that I have no packsources enabled.

I'm new in to all of this. Sorry.

Thanks for your help

Damnation333

Just burned his ISO

nobody got an idea?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Damnation333 View Post
    Hallo,

finally i got the WLan running under Backtrack in the newest Version. I have a laptor with an "intel 2200bg" chipset. Only Kismet won't work. I saw that a lot of users have this problem. So I tried everything I found here, but it still won't work.
    I have a tried to start it via: start-kismet-ng -> permission denied.
    Then I searched for this error and found this:
    # chmod +x/usr/bin/start-kismet-ng
    # /usr/bin/start-kismet-ng

I entered those two lines in the shell, but I still get the permission denied error.

When I just write "kismet" in the command line i get an error that I have no packsources enabled.

I'm new in to all of this. Sorry.

Thanks for your help

Damnation333
    did you tray to edit yours kismet.conf file?,you have to modify in "packsources" line you wifi card,let say:eth0,ipw3945,centrino.depends of yours card,check out forum or google re:kismet.conf.
    working with me.

Just burned his ISO

ah. thanks for your response!

I edited the config to: ipw2200,eth1,Intel

Then i got the error-msg, that "no packsources were enabled. Make sure that if you use an enabled source line that you specify the correct sources".

What does this message tell me? What's missing?

Thanks for your help.

Damnation

Just burned his ISO

Default think ive got it

well i was running into a similar problem, and at least figured out the solution for atheros cards. First to find out if i had an atheros card i typed airmon-ng, and it displayed the make of my card. Then i checked out the kismet support page at kismetwireless.net/documentation.shtml. Apparently you have to manually input your card with the kismet -c command. For me it explained that since atheros is controlled by madwifi my command looked like this kismet -c madwifi_g,wifi0,0. While i am very new to all this stuff, and this may not be the best solution its something that worked for

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Means kismet doesn't know where your card is. Make sure your card is working and eth1 exists

Code:
    iwconfig
    and this is in your kismet.conf

Code:
    Source = ipw2200, eth1, intel
    And atheros cards all work sweet with kismet check out section 12 of the documentation.