Thread: root password not working

Just burned his ISO

Question root password not working

the backtrack 2.0 final live cd gives instruction that we should login as "root" with password as "toor" (without the quotes) but it says "Login Incorrect"

what's the actual password?

10 hours of downloading an image and now it doesn't login.

Please help.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Run BT2 with the "autoexec=xconf;startx" command added in the syslinux.cfg file (located in the /boot/syslinux/-folder) if you use it from USB and the beast runs right through to the desktop without any need to login... If using a CD-ROM enter "bt autoexec=xconf;startx"at the boot-prompt...

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy still stuck in shell

i had typed "bt autoexec=xconf;startx" (without the double quotes) but it still is asking for the login details. are there no user details known for the system?

i'm running the live distribution from the cd. sorry i didn't mention that.

please help.

Just burned his ISO

It happend to me too.
    I had to download the iso again then it worked like a charm.
    check if your iso has the right hash
    MD5: 990940d975f13d8418b0daa175560ae0

I had a similar problem with the latest beta version of BT2 ... if your md5 hash is correct, try writing the disc again at 4x speed

Just burned his ISO

Default md5 itself is miles apart...

this iso as i mentioned before is really huge for the bandwidth conditions i'm under but i still tried downloading twice from two different mirrors: -
    once from mirror.switch.ch/mirror/backtrack/bt2final.iso
    and once from
    swtsrv.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/pub/linux/distributions/BackTrack/bt2final.iso

i downloaded the iso's in windows and got a md5 calculating tool. both of the times, the iso from both of the locations returned a code which starts with 8 and not 9. the live cd as it is...boots fine and even gets to the login prompt, but not after that. even at ver. 2, why these problems...and why does it fail at the exact same point?

Hash functions were invented for many reasons, one of which was to create a digest of a long list of bytes, which could then be used to re-check at any time if any of those bytes changed. Thus, if the md5 is not the same as the one posted in the download page, it means your bytes are not the same bytes as the server has. Avoid using "download managers" if you are downloading over HTTP, and if you are downloading over FTP, make sure whatever program you are using is set to binary.

Regards,

Mother
    In God we trust, all others we monitor

Just burned his ISO

with my connection, it is just not feasible to download without using a download manager. it takes about 7 hours when the connection is in a real good mood for that long to download...using download manager.

but fact is, i downloaded the entire iso by luck via the ftp link with the browser only.

i feel the condition of download managers messing up md5 is invalid. i do download other distros...iso files to be precise, using download manager.

It's not that download managers will break your ISO, it's that they can do it, and if your md5 is not checking out, some bytes have fallen off the back of the truck. Your ISO is damaged, plain and simple (that, or the md5 algorithm of whatever tool you use to check it is broken )

Cheers,

Mother
    In God we trust, all others we monitor