Thread: How long to createjtr dico file

Just burned his ISO

Default How long to createjtr dico file

I,m trying to use wordlist.sh to create one big password file for BT4 I,m using an 8 G stick for my os to run off and just snagged every password list I could find on the distro and the script has been hung on step 2 with "John the Ripper is working .......
    root@bt:/pentest/passwords/jtr#
    for like an hour. Did I miss something I've looked for the answer but had no luck with my particular case. the tutorials I've checked out do not have info about cding into /pentest/passwords/jtr# but the script has apparently done this is there a command I should be entering here?

Developer

Default Re: How long to createjtr dico file

If you are using the mangle option of john the ripper it can take a really long time depending on the size of the list. John --mangle will create 50 or so permutations of each word so if you have a list with 1 million words, it will make 50 variations of each word.

Just burned his ISO

purehate thanks as I was reading your post the program finished. I thought I had not done something I should have.

BTW am I correct to assume that if I add a new list I can just run the script again and it will create a new john dico file?
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 05-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Are you sure 8GB (or whatever free space you have) is sufficient for the new dictionary you're trying to create?

This thread has info on calculating size of wordlists:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...forum/2027.htm
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Thorin I thought that might be the case I still want to keep running persistent and not do an install, that space is reserved for slack so 2morrow I go in search of a 32 or 64 gb stick. thanks for the input.

BTW Thorin that link on calculating file size is no good.
    Last edited by lupin; 06-05-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Merging...

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Well I thought I had this wordlist.sh problem beat, I did a HD install of BT4 and have arround 105 or so G of free space and wordlist is still hanging on step 2. I've even tried it with 2 wordlists I created with one word each and it just sits there for hours saying jtr is working. I have re DLed the script and re-installed to /usr/bin as per the instructions. I've searched for anything related to this problem with no luck does anyone have suggestions of what to do next? Any help would be great. TIA battleship.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Re: How long to createjtr dico file

I'm having the same issues as the op.

It quits the operation and returns back the command line... I've seen a video tutorial and this bit didn't happen.

I've also had similar problems when other scripts need to call upon John The Ripper. They all fail when it reaches JTR.

I'm running backtrack4 with everything out of the box.

Anyone have tips here?