Thread: I'm a big noob but...

Just burned his ISO

Default I'm a big noob but...

Hello guys.
    I just installed backtrack 4 VM. I run it using a virtual machine and VMware player.
    The first thing i noticed is that the mouse is really slow to move and it's delayed of 2-3 seconds. This makes the system almost unusable. How can i fix this?

I use a HP dv6-1025 em, it has Intel P8600 as processor and 4gbs of ram. Windows vista 32 bit is installed.

Ok second question: can i use my network card (Intel WiFi 5100 AGN) to hack a WEP protection?
    I've read that basically i need to do 3 steps: install edited drivers, sniff packets and analyse them to come out with the WEP key.
    Anyhow this process is quite difficult as i have no idea how to start.

Can anyone guide me step by step? Or any tutorial on the internet?

Default Re: I'm a big noob but...

We will not teach you to hack into anything that is not yours.
    As for the mouse problem I really have no idea what is going on, your system specs seem adequate to run a VM. Try installing BT on Virtual Box and see if the same thing happens
    pureh@te said: Our goal is to be a fearsome pentest distro not a windows replacement OS where we are trying to convert the world to Linux.

Default Re: I'm a big noob but...

Quote Originally Posted by bhonfranco View Post
    The first thing i noticed is that the mouse is really slow to move and it's delayed of 2-3 seconds. This makes the system almost unusable. How can i fix this?
    You may want to look into this thread: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...are-image.html

No, no one here will guide you step by step. If you want to learn how to use backtrack, I suggest you read the following links:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...use-fully.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-thread-2.html
    Besides this, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of tutorials on the Internets about "hacking" WEP, just google them.

Just burned his ISO

Hello guys.
    I just installed backtrack 4 VM. I run it using a virtual machine and VMware player.

I use a HP dv6-1025 em, it has Intel P8600 as processor and 4gbs of ram. Windows vista 32 bit is installed.

Ok second question: can i use my network card (Intel WiFi 5100 AGN) to hack a WEP protection?
    I've read that basically i need to do 3 steps: install edited drivers, sniff packets and analyse them to come out with the WEP key.
    Anyhow this process is quite difficult as i have no idea how to start.

The mouse issue i have no idea because on my HP laptop my mouse is off center if i try to click the middle of the screen its 5 ins to the left so i cant help you on that either.. (I think its a driver vmware or vbox doesn't like that on laptops might be the whole mouse pad thing idk just a hunch)

As for braking wep i see a lot of people stating they cant help because its not yours or w.e all i am saying is Google is your best friend in the whole world

I have the same issue with the mouse just mine is off center like for example if i try to click on the middle of the screen it 5in to the left idk i think its the whole mouse pad thing vbox n vmware doesn't like that driver idk..

As for cracking wep google is your best freind
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 07-03-2010 at 12:18 AM.