Thread: best laptop and hardware for bt2final?

Just burned his ISO

Default best laptop and hardware for bt2final?

recently had my rock xctx pro and dell inspiron stolen long story

so im looking to buy a second hand machine for use with bt2 just now untill the merom chipset machines come out

what id like is a machine around 14 to 15.4inch in size and preferably based on a c2d cpu liked my dell as it was very comfortable to use and you could download i8kfangui to have complete control over the fans, thats plus rmclock to clock it down at nite while only downloading torrents was ideal but that was only a pentium m

are the inspirons good bases as i didnt have much luck getting my proxim 8740 or whatever it was called going with the beta release a few months back so havent done much testing lately

so recomendations on machine with a good platform features and most supported by bt2 out of the box if possible i want it to work as smoothly as possible with minimal configuration and messing around with experimental drivers and patches etc

so best laptop for use with bt2 best interal wifi card and are these ubiquiti 300mw cards better than the proxims? and best usb adaptor , preferably ones thats modable to add an antenna and a little more range

since im having to start over again then i may aswell get everything hardware wise right the first time !

appreciate the help and work that goes into this forum some of the breakthroughs and help ive seen in the last few months is really good im just gutted i lost two expensive machines

Just take a look in the laptop compatibility topics and the which card should I buy topics. Amost certain that those will work on BT2 final also. It would be more then logical that more laptops will work flawlesly with BT2 Final. So first search a little bit through the forum.

I have a Asus A6T and it works well.

Just burned his ISO

Just get a fairly new PC, preferably with an ATI card (because nVidea FX 5xxx 6xxx 7xxx cards are having problems with xconf) but nVidea is reasonable and BackTrack will run. If you are looking for wireless functions, you will need an Atheros based network card and I think that Bluetooth will be fun as well if you are into that kind of stuff.. I don't have bluetooth so I couldn't test it.

Just burned his ISO

yeh ive looked around alot of the forums the last few months but everyone uses diferen machines and hardware so its hard to get a solid combination of machine and cards that work and yeh bluetooth would be fun to play around with

just dont wanna be buying and then be stuggling on here and posting the same old questions this is my second post ive not asked for help before when i was using the beta's i done a hell of a lot of searching !

Just burned his ISO

i am using a gateway mx6428 it has 1gb mem. 2ghz amd turion 64 and a dvd burner and ati mobile 300m video. It runs very smooth and i just use startx and it configures the widescreen perfectly. the only thing that doesnt work is the built in wireless internet so i bought a wg511t off ebay for 22.50 after shipping. And i only paid 640 for it after taxes

Just burned his ISO

nice 1 franky thats the kinda reply i was lookin for does your screen resolution get set to your screens native?

right now im looking at a dell lattitude 620 there solid machines and got all the features iwant plus there solid! just hope it works with bt, if not i will buy something thats in the pentium m range and get laptop about10 or 12 inch in size for backtrack only and sorting mates pc's etc

let me know how u get on with the usb adaptor mate if u can an thanks for replyin with ur configuration

i know just about anything can be made to work with linux but it would be nice if there was a list where we could submit what machines and cards and other hardware dont work

the wiki is coming along nicely and a step in the right direction which will stop all the topics being filled with complaints and bitching in some cases just because there machine isnt compatable..... childish and selfish

Just burned his ISO

FYI - The Latitude D600 works flawlessly. The internal card will work for surfing the net, but no monitor mode. Pick up an Atheros card for $40 off ebay and you're set. I've had zero problems with mine, and I've ran BT2, Fedora 4, 5, 6, and Suze 9 on it

Wont be anything near as fast as a c2d, but it will be a ****load cheaper!

Just burned his ISO

hi mate well i got myself the core duo instead of core 2duo of ebay and in the form of d620 nice machine liking it alot not had much chance to play with it with backtrack yet first thing i did was reformat it and wipe it clean and installed xp and im just getting the drivers and bare essentials for what i use windows just gonna play with bt just now i think need to get more practise in wiith it

ive got the proxim card to use instead of the internal i think i will pick up an atheros internal card pretty soon and will mod the chassis to work with the cool wee clip on antennae i got of ebay that clips on top of the screen and has decent cable and quite short so wont be as much losses as there would have been with the magmount thing plus i dont have to worry about having that strong magnet in amongst my 2.5 hard drives and other media that might get affected with it!

gonna have to find decent nvidia drivers or something as its a nightmare being restricted to 640x480! its the nvidia quadro 110 or something lol ive been so busy lately..... i will report back with my findings!

Just burned his ISO

My old Toshiba TE2100 has died and I'm looking to replace the notebook for something which fully works with BT2.0 Final. I've looked at all the Laptops which work with the BT 2.0 beta, and these in the BT2.0 Final.

Has anyone got a current notebook which has been fully tested with BT2.0 Final.

I'm looking for something with specs like these:
    core 2 duo
    1GB ram
    2 PCMCIA cards (for man in the middle testing)
    Internal WIFI which works with BT2.0 in monitor mode.
    1Gbps network.
    Bluetooth which works with BT2.0 (optional)

I need to know if someone has tested all these components.
    Does the screen on your notebook work in widescreen?
    Does the Gigabit network work under BT2.0?
    Does the onboard sound work?
    Are the PCMCIA slots working?

I've tested about 10 notebooks myself and haven't found one that fully works.

Just burned his ISO

hi map your looking for more or less what i was, im waiting as i dont think bluetooth is working yet and im dying to try messing with my fone with it but never mind

it does support my res, without runing xconf if i do run it i get a horrible 640x480 or something res !

gonna look into getting the newer nvidia drivers shortly

my proxim card appears to get into monitor mode for kismet or something but after that im stuck

ive got it booting of a sandisk extreme4 4gb cf card with a 2.5 laptop adaptor into which im running a usb to ide convertor and its much faster than the cd well impressed with the speed, gonna have to add in some sort of sata convertor i think or put it into the modular drive bay .....

sound works fine out of the box , id like to disable that startup sound and adjust the volume and do an auto login script but im still looking into those and ofcourse i want my settings saved for each time i will dig around some more

going to be fun converting the slax modules into the new versions and getting them working ...not lol however il march onwards!