Thread: How to boot directly from a Backtrack4 Virtualbox image, so i can "dual boot" with 7?

Just burned his ISO

Question How to boot directly from a Backtrack4 Virtualbox image, so i can "dual boot" with 7?

Hi guys,

i am using a backtrack VDI image, 6.4 GB file, and now i want to dual backtrack and windows 7!

to do that, i think i need[HELP] to boot directly from the VDI image[/HELP], which i ignore how
    then follow the instructions in the howto page: ubitquity in terminal...etc

thanks in advance

Default Re: How to boot directly from a Backtrack4 Virtualbox image, so i can "dual boot" wit

I really don't think you can boot from a VMware and install Backtrack on your HDD ... Get a live CD and do that.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Default Re: How to boot directly from a Backtrack4 Virtualbox image, so i can "dual boot" wit

If you want to dual boot between BackTrack 4 and Windows 7 you will need to create a partition for BackTrack 4 on your hard drive and install it there. Follow one of the available guides on the subject.

As far as I am aware no one has written the necessary supporting software to allow you to boot natively from a system stored inside a VDI file.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1NT1N View Post
    Hi guys,

i am using a backtrack VDI image, 6.4 GB file, and now i want to dual backtrack and windows 7!

to do that, i think i need[HELP] to boot directly from the VDI image[/HELP], which i ignore how
    then follow the instructions in the howto page: ubitquity in terminal...etc

thanks in advance
    I can't believe how little some of these people know about computers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt View Post
    I can't believe how little some of these people know about computers in general.
    Well in theory something like this could actually work - example: the Wubi installer for Ubuntu allows you to boot Ubuntu from a file on a Windows partition, so it's not a totally ridiculous question. In practice though I don't see software/configuration support for something like this coming any time soon.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Well in theory something like this could actually work - example: the Wubi installer for Ubuntu allows you to boot Ubuntu from a file on a Windows partition, so it's not a totally ridiculous question. In practice though I don't see software/configuration support for something like this coming any time soon.
    I think hhmatt was referring (and I could be wrong) to the fact that so many with so little basic or general knowledge try to step into using BT. At least that was my take on his post.

Yea lupin you're right in theory it could be done, but why sit hours in front of the PC when you kould just do it very nice and easy
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    I think hhmatt was referring (and I could be wrong) to the fact that so many with so little basic or general knowledge try to step into using BT. At least that was my take on his post.
    This is correct. My statement was fairly general and not completely directed towards the OP.

I believe the OP was thinking either:
    1. Boot directly to VM image.
    or
    2. Turn the VM image into a bootable install device.

Both of which are currently not possible. With a little googlefu they would quickly realize this.

I don't disagree that in theory it could be possible. I always considered wubi to be very similar to a USB install. VM images require virtualbox, vmware, etc. to be running on a pre-existing system in order to use the image.
    Last edited by hhmatt; 06-26-2010 at 06:19 PM.