Thread: How do I protect my laptop in an open wireless setting?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO My2CentsWorth's Avatar

Question How do I protect my laptop in an open wireless setting?

I have seen items that protect you wireless web use through USB like ironkey.com has. Is there another way I can protect myself (my laptop) from attacks or snooping while I am in an airport or coffee shop or hotel using the public wireless? I understand this forum will probably not have the information on this but I figure you guys definitely would know who does. I want to learn how to do this without having to buy a USB devise. Or am I secure without anything all I need to do is apply certain settings I would like to read up on that.
    Thanks

*edit*
    I found this myself sorry for troubling any of you.
    http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_stay_saf...rnet_cafe.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
    Just close this thread, Im done here.
    Last edited by My2CentsWorth; 06-24-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How do I protect my laptop in an open wireless setting?

Quote Originally Posted by My2CentsWorth View Post
    I have seen items that protect you wireless web use through USB like ironkey.com has. Is there another way I can protect myself (my laptop) from attacks or snooping while I am in an airport or coffee shop or hotel using the public wireless? I understand this forum will probably not have the information on this but I figure you guys definitely would know who does. I want to learn how to do this without having to buy a USB devise. Or am I secure without anything all I need to do is apply certain settings I would like to read up on that.
    Thanks
    Although i might not have the information you need, i guarantee you that people on here definatly do. My small tokens of advice are be smart where your browsing, dont accept any ssl certificates or open any suspicious links. I come from the school of thought that most attacks, viruses, ect. that alot of people will encounter can be avoided by simply being smart about your browsing, and downloading habbits but thats just me i guess. A firewall is probably a good place to start if your seriously worried about people exploiting your computer. Make sure you dont have any easily exploitable open ports.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Isn't this the second time you've asked the same thing? And again mentioning ironkey, would this be some free advertisement?

Look into truecrypt. I would also consider finding a personal firewall or properly implementing your current firewall. Keep your programs up to date. Do not log into anything using public internet services such as banking websites, etc.

Since most of this does not relate to BT I wouldn't be surprised to see the thread closed soon.

Good luck!

Edit
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/community/forum-rules/
    You may want to read those as your signature is also in violation of the rules.
    Last edited by hhmatt; 06-24-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Added rules

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Worthless at best and not any way related to Back Track Linux.