Thread: New to Penetration Testing

Just burned his ISO

Default New to Penetration Testing

Hello everyone,

I just got into Penetration Testing and was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction to get started. I know Linux quited well (LPIC-1) and am fairly strong in Networking with Linux, Windows, and Cisco devices.

I would like to point out that I have no interest in hacking people, but I am very interested in hacking my own network to expand my knowledge of Network vulnerabilities. If all goes well, fix whatever vulnerabilities I may find.

I am planning to take the OSCP/PWB course soon, but I'd rather go in there with some more in-depth knowledge.

So that's it! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New to Penetration Testing

Well this really depends on what exactly you want to learn, but you can search this forum in the "HowTo" section and "Video Tutorials" there are some nice things here that you might find interesting to experience in your LAN.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

I did notice some interesting things in both the HowTo and Video forum. Right now I've got a Win 2003 Server and BT4 running Virtually to play around with so I will set up some scenarios for myself.

As to what exactly I want to learn, that's a hard one. I want to learn it all!

I'll keep going with what I find in those two forums but if you ever think of anything else, please let me know. I'm a sucker for knowledge

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

I do not understand this post, you are claiming you are going to take a OSCP/PWB course soon, yet in the same post, asking people what you should do to get started exploiting your lan. Now i am not accusing you of anything, quite contrary, there is a wealth of knowledge on these forums its the reason as to why they exist. You seem to be asking, hey can anyone get me all the important stuff from the forums and post them on this thread, sorry if you feel maybe I am being a little rude, I dont mean it to come across like that, but what exactly are you asking for
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

I believe this has been sought after in a few threads may want to go check them out.Myself I love to learn also but I believe you may want to look through the forms on this subject they have all the directions. Were you go from there is up to you. And to finish up start were ever you feel is most needed cause there is no way of learning it all as we all know the saying. Once you think you have it along comes a new and better way.
    Last edited by dromar421; 06-24-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Lacking any better goal, and based on your stated level of knowledge, you may as well just start off with "Metasploit Unleashed" (Google it).
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

And while reading Metasploit Unleashed you could download Metasploitable and set it up in a VMware it's a very nice thing to play with.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

To Lupin and Sickness, THANK YOU!

That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

As for Metasploitable, I'll definitely download that. Although I would prefer using Vbox rather than VMware (I like Open Source :P).

To Killadaninja - no worries, I understand what I am asking for is broad. While I have extensive knowledge in Linux, I have actually never attempted to exploit my, or anyone else's LAN. This is why Offensive Security is so new to me. Luckily, with Metasploit Unleashed and Metasploitable I can move forward and learn some basic exploitation in a virtual environment.

Again, thank you all, this will definitely be a great help.