Thread: Recognising my network card in backtrack4 on VMWare under Window XP OS

Just burned his ISO

Default Recognising my network card in backtrack4 on VMWare under Window XP OS

Hi, everyone, I am new to backtrack4, VMWare.
    I am running backtrack4 on VMWare under Window XP,
    My problem is airmon-ng shows no internet card recognised, even though i did the following commands
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient eth0
    ping google.com
    the responses are what is expected (i based it on the youtube tutorial on how to setup backtrack4 on VMWare.

In Frequently Asked Questions, I read the following :

Why cant BackTrack use wireless card “X” inside VMWare or Virtualbox ?
    Any virtualisation software can only use USB wireless network cards as physical devices, all other types of wireless card

are seen as virtual ethernet devices and can only be seen as a wireless device by the host and not by the guest operating

system. So if you want to run BackTrack in VMWare or Virtualbox and have full wireless capabilities, make sure you are using

a USB device.

ifconfig -a (returns the following information)
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:29:44:66:e8
    inet addr:192.168.1.137 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe44:66e8/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1786 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:116240 (116.2 KB) TX bytes:3080 (3.0 KB)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Systems Information (Control Centre) shows that my netbook has

Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adaptor
    Realtek RTL 8102E Family PCI E Fast Ethernet NIC

Can anyone tell me if backtrack4 can recognise the network card and if yes, what commands to issue to setup the network card in backtrack4?

Thanks

Default Re: Recognising my network card in backtrack4 on VMWare under Window XP OS

Did you enable networking in your virtual machine settings?

Default Re: Recognising my network card in backtrack4 on VMWare under Window XP OS

Correct me if I am wrong but the Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adaptor is on the motherboard and not a USB wireless device.

You MUST be using a USB wireless device when running VM's. You noted the same above but somehow it appears you missed the absolute necessity of USB. There is NO way to use the atheros on the computer's board when running in a VM.

I started with VM player but have switched to full Workstation and the same applies to all these programs running in "virtualization".

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Did you enable networking in your virtual machine settings?
    2 things I did and followed what was told in the youtube's tutorial

1) VMWare setting-->Hareware-->Network Adapter option, I change from NAT (used to share the host's IP Address) to Bridged : Connect directly to the physical Network.

2) And when I have file open BT4 from VMWare, I issued a command "/etc/init.d/networking start" before enter into the shell.

I thought these steps would setup the network card recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by george8 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but the Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adaptor is on the motherboard and not a USB wireless device.

You MUST be using a USB wireless device when running VM's. You noted the same above but somehow it appears you missed the absolute necessity of USB. There is NO way to use the atheros on the computer's board when running in a VM.

I started with VM player but have switched to full Workstation and the same applies to all these programs running in "virtualization".
    Thanks for your reply.
    Can I check further that
    1) Since my AR5006X thus far serving well for internet connection, is there any platform other than VMWare that I can install to run backtrack4 that recognise the AR5006X wireless card?

2) If I were to purchase a USB wireless device, any tested reliable USB wireless device that you would recommend?
    Raymond
    Last edited by lupin; 06-22-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Merging...

Many here use the Alfa 1000mw usb wireless. It comes with a 5 dbi antenna now and its range is great. If you decide to go with this one make sure you buy it from a reliable dealer. There are some "knock offs" floating around and their performance is crap. Also, for now I would avoid the 2000mw N Alfa because the drivers are not developed. Betting they will be soon though.

I used to run BT4 from USB with the hard drive not in play at all. This method allows for use of the on board wireless atheros. You will have to check to see if your atheros has BT4 compatible drivers out. That is a quick search right in these forums.

And save yourself a bunch of time. You will never get the on board atheros to work using a VM (at this stage of technology anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by raymondhsu View Post
    2) If I were to purchase a USB wireless device, any tested reliable USB wireless device that you would recommend?
    Raymond
    Did you even bother to do a search?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Did you even bother to do a search?
    Sorry for my attitude problem, will make sure I exhaust all means in finding a solution myself before making a post. Thanks.