Thread: USB Wifi not working

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Wifi not working

Hello,

now before i start. Let me say yes i have read the forum but i have never found a complete answer so this is why i am asking this question.

I am using a macbook pro, VM Fusion, with BT4 Finial, and the ALFA AWUS036H USB Wifi... My connection is not working the way i want it to.

When i disconnect the USB from the BT Fusion volume and have either bridge, or NAT for networking then i can reach the net. The connection shows up as eth0

If i connect the USB ALFA to the BT Fusion volume. The light on the USB ALFA stay on until i start up the network (service networking start). Then i loose it and can no longer reach the internet.

tried the live CD to boot. WICD shows available networks but it is not using the USB ALFA (still not lit).

I really need some experienced help on this. It would be really appreciated, Thanks!

Default Re: USB Wifi not working

What's the wireless device name of the ALFA when you connect it to the BT VM?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    What's the wireless device name of the ALFA when you connect it to the BT VM?

When i look in the VM Fusion tray it says "Realtek RTL8187_Wireless"

LSUSB list it as "Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter"

Just type in
    Code:
    ifconfig
    tell us the output, you should see a device called "wlan0" or "wlan1" or something. Open WICD, go to "Preferences" and just change the "Wireless interface" to that of your ALFA AWUS036H USB Wifi click Refresh and it should work.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

I was being vague on purpose in my last post, I wanted to get an idea of how much you had read on this subject. I'm now going to suggest that you have a read through purehate's networking HowTo, and you should also have a look for the configuring networking page on the old BackTrack wiki.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you gentlemen! I did get it working... some time late last night i got it to show me connections in WICD but not mine. I spent the rest of the night stuck there, and i had to get to bed the sun was coming up.

Today i was play around I found an open network and i could connect so i know i was halfway there. I still could not connect to my network. tried adding the ESSID in WICD and nothing

Tried to do it all via the CLI but got an error after enter my password (iwconfig wlan key (psword).

After starting to read this: Connecting hidden SSID - Remote Exploit Forums. <-- Is there now a way to get in or am i missing anything?

I just said ok i am just going to start broadcasting again. I am now connected.

So once again thanks!

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soto3330 View Post
    Today i was play around I found an open network and i could connect so i know i was halfway there. I still could not connect to my network. tried adding the ESSID in WICD and nothing
    That is the kind of talk that will get you banned from here, you realize that is not legal right?
    Try using airmon-ng to make sure your device is stopped before using wicd, i.e
    Code:
    airmon-ng stop (dev)
    Now when you start wicd just keep refreshing it, more and more networks should appear.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.