Thread: Backtrack 4 Failing to Install on HDD

Just burned his ISO

Question Backtrack 4 Failing to Install on HDD

Alright, so I have tried various different methods for trying to get Backtrack 4 to install on my computer. I have EASEUS Partition Master and manually resized my 320GB hard drive into two partitions. One partition for my Windows 7 Professional x86 (120GB), and the second partition for Backtrack 4 (200GB). Now, I have tried leaving the Backtrack 4 partition unformatted and let Backtrack 4 handle the formatting and installing on it, which obviously failed. I have tried formatting the Backtrack 4 partition to FAT32 and NTFS, so Backtrack 4 can just reformat and install like it does on some peoples Windows installations, and it failed. I have tried leaving Windows my whole 320GB of storage and letting Backtrack 4 handle the absolute whole thing by resizing and using the remaining free space on my 320GB hard drive for Backtrack 4. All of these options have failed. Now I am here to see if anyone can offer some generous (emphasize on the generous part, as I know some people believe they are too good to offer help) help. Here are my system specifications for more analysis:

Toshiba Laptop
    Windows 7 Professional x86
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor 1.75ghz
    2GB Kingston HyperX Ram
    320GB Western Digital Hard Drive

And thanks for those that do offer some helpful feedback . It's greatly appreciated!

Good friend of the forums espreto's Avatar

Default Re: Backtrack 4 Failing to Install on HDD

Sure, the installation is failing, what type of error is presenting. Can offer more details?

Already took a look at:

HardWare Compatibility List

Regards,
    (gdb) disass m(y_br)ain

®

"I have tried formatting the Backtrack 4 partition to FAT32 and NTFS"

Come on man ? Are you trying to install what, windows or linux ?

What happen when you try to do your partition table ? If I understand what you said, you can't do the partition for install the BT4, am I right ?

Like Espetro, said before, give us more information about your problem. =)

Bye.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by upc0d3 View Post
    "I have tried formatting the Backtrack 4 partition to FAT32 and NTFS"

Come on man ? Are you trying to install what, windows or linux ?

What happen when you try to do your partition table ? If I understand what you said, you can't do the partition for install the BT4, am I right ?

Like Espetro, said before, give us more information about your problem. =)

Bye.
    Absolutely, and thanks for the feedback guys! I will replicate the general error I receive and upload the picture. For now, I will further describe my problem and the various solutions I have tried to use. When I made the first post I had a feeling that I wasn't being as clear and straight forward as I should, and you guys make that clear. So here is a more in depth approach I took and again I will replicate the problem and provide a screenshot of the error message I receive.

First Attempt:
    I tried following this HOW-TO instructions which failed.

Second Attempt:
    I assumed Backtrack 4 was having a problem resizing my partition because that is where the error would occur at during the Resizing Partition phase. So, I figured I would help Backtrack 4 in this area by creating a partition already. So, I fired up EASEUS Partition Master Professional and split hard drive into two partitions:
    -First Partition: Windows (120GB)
    -Second Partition: To Be Used for Backtrack 4 (200GB)
    I fired up Backtrack 4 again, and it auto selected to try to install Backtrack 4 on the Second Partition. Perfect! Failed with same error message when trying to resize it.

Other Attempts:
    My other attempts have been aimed at using the Second Attempt approach but when I create the Second Partition so it can be used by Backtrack 4, I used different formats. I have tried NTFS, FAT32, unformatted, and even leaving it unallocated. The reason I tried various formats was of the posts from people having Backtrack 4 accidentally install over their Windows installation which would be NTFS or FAT32 depending upon their version of Windows.

All of these attempts have failed and I can't seem to get the "Manual" option for Backtrack 4 to work correctly but would be willing to try playing with it if someone is willing to walk me through it. And just so we are clear, Backtrack 4 works perfectly fine when operating in my CD/DVD drive. I would just prefer to have it on my hard drive as a dual boot and be able to not have my CD/DVD drive constantly spinning. And again, I will replicate the error and upload the picture as soon as I can. For now, you have this information to work with. Thanks for help everyone !

Here are there pictures as promised:

Last edited by balding_parrot; 06-19-2010 at 01:47 AM.

NTFS = NT File System = Windows. Try ext3.

this here Dual Boot | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution could help you unless you tried it before. (Since i kind of don't understand what you were exactly trying before.)

Ok man, choose ,,manual,, option from that screen where it is asking about partitioning the disk, then follow this How to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a manually created partition don't worry that it is guide for Ubuntu, it is the same for BackTrack.
    If it's too confusing resizing/creating partitions, then you can prepare one or use the one you created with Easeus. Then pay attention when setting mount point and file system (ext3) as this is important.
    You don't have to create swap (unless you run loads of software at the same time + low RAM) or home partitions, it is not that critical.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 06-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for help! I have been very tempted to try the Manual option but was just afraid the program was going to screw with my Windows partition. Also, this isn't aimed at you but you can easily tell when someone hasn't read my full posts . EASEUS doesn't allow me to format to EXT3, but it will let me format to FAT, NTFS, or leave it unformatted. I only tried NTFS because of the other posts regarding Backtrack 4 to overwrite their Windows installation (NTFS partition) . Anyways, thanks for the link and the help. Very much appreciated! I will post back with the results!

Good news, it worked flawlessly! Thank you so much for all of your help. It is very much appreciated! This thread can now be locked, sticked, solved, or whatever. Thank you !
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 06-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.