Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faster WPA hash cracking

Just burned his ISO

Default Faster WPA hash cracking

Well, I'm not that expert, but I think here is the best place where I can discuss about this.

So, basically to crack a WPA network, you capture the handshake packets in order to obtain the key hash right? After that the only way to retrieve the plain text key is to perform a brute force attack on this hash, wait and pray.

The brute force attack provided by the aircrack suite usually tests 400 - 600 keys per second.

Recently I was looking for hash cracking when I found a technique called Time-Memory Tradeoff. They say its cappable of testing up to 100.000 keys per second (WTF?).

A benchmark is shown in the picture bellow:

This is from the Raibow Crack project, really worth take a look at it... Rainbow Project.

I was wondering if that wouldn't be usefull for also cracking WPA hash.

If I said anything stupid please let me know, I'm just trying to help anyway.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Faster WPA hash cracking

wpa and wpa2 are basically the same thing.
    WPA vs WPA2 (802.11i): How your Choice Affects your Wireless Network Security | Openxtra

Keep reading and learning though you are trying and that's a good thing.

Developer

I think what windhawk is missing is that those graphs and charts do not take into account the time it takes to actually make the "rainbow" table. I may be able to crack at 100,000 keys per second but if it took me a few days to make the table, thats not very accurate.

The other major difference is that once a ntlm hash table is created it will work with any hash, this is not the case with wpa because the essid is salted into the hash. This means that every time you have a different essid you would have to create a new hash table which is once again , time consuming.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    I think what windhawk is missing is that those graphs and charts do not take into account the time it takes to actually make the "rainbow" table. I may be able to crack at 100,000 keys per second but if it took me a few days to make the table, thats not very accurate.

The other major difference is that once a ntlm hash table is created it will work with any hash, this is not the case with wpa because the essid is salted into the hash. This means that every time you have a different essid you would have to create a new hash table which is once again , time consuming.
    I see your point. I hadn't realized that WPA used salted hashes, this makes the method mentioned above useless.

Well, one more question before this topic dies. I don't see many people talking about aircrack-ng + CUDA yet.

Is there any obvious reason that I'm missing?

Just burned his ISO

im not an expert either but , im working in a project ,im trying to set up my ps3 to crack hash file password because i heard from some source that the power of the ps3 processor is awesome , have you ever heard about it ?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkTangent View Post
    im not an expert either but , im working in a project ,im trying to set up my ps3 to crack hash file password because i heard from some source that the power of the ps3 processor is awesome , have you ever heard about it ?
    Sounds really good. How far have you gone?

Just burned his ISO

Actually WPA and no AES variants of WPA2 are vulnerable to differential cryptanalysis methods as well. If you knew enough plain text you could derive the key just by looking at the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by windhawk View Post
    I see your point. I hadn't realized that WPA used salted hashes, this makes the method mentioned above useless.

Well, one more question before this topic dies. I don't see many people talking about aircrack-ng + CUDA yet.

Is there any obvious reason that I'm missing?
    look into pyrit

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by CKing View Post
    look into pyrit
    Yeah, there is an obvious reason.

Talking about that and the previous message.... I saw this guy running pyrit in a PS3.

He was doing some tweaking but as far as I saw, it was around 30.000 PMK/s.

Pretty interesting huh?

pyrit with its cal based core is even more interesting. dealing with ati drivers is a nightmare though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast