Thread: Booting from USB, cannot get past step 4 in installation process

Just burned his ISO

Default Booting from USB, cannot get past step 4 in installation process

Hi I am on an HP dv4t and am trying to dual boot BT4 Final with my Windows7.
    I followed the instructions here: USB Live | BackTrack Linux
    I booted up from my USB and was already logged in as root. I am in the place now similar to command prompt in windows. (I am new to linux distributions.) In the "command prompt" screen it says "root@bt" I believe and after loading a few things it waits for me to type something. I type "startx" and that doesn't work. I then type "fix-vesa" and then it tells me to restart x. I then type "startx" again and it loads and sends me to the desktop. I double click on "install.sh" and it starts the installation process. I go choose my language, click next, choose my keyboard, click next, and it says "starting partitioner." Here is where the problem begins. This part of installation is called “Prepare disk space” according to the words at the top left of the window. Now I have already partitioned 30GB of my hard drive through windows specifically for BT4. I have seen videos where people have a bar that they can drag to choose how big to partition their drive but I do not have that. I have 2 options: 1. Guided - Use entire disk. OR 2. Manual. What am I supposed to do here? I have chose “Manual” and moved onto the next step. The top left of this window says “Prepare partitions.” It shows a list of my partitions and there are 5 options underneath them. Only two of the 5 are able for me to click on. They are “New partition table” and “Undo changes to partitions.” I have clicked next and it will not let me go on. It says “No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.” I am so lost and do not know what to do. Sorry if I did not post this in the right section of the forums. Thanks in advance!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Booting from USB, cannot get past step 4 in installation process

i just got over the same problem. when you get to the partitioner hit manual partition i created a 2G swap space and the rest i created a primary ext3 and set the mount point to "/". after that click on the partition set to "/" and hit next. the installation should go fine from there.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Booting from USB, cannot get past step 4 in installation process

well i actually don't know the problem as well the sollution but i can guess something ..

i think it needs a drive that has been partitioned/formatted using linux based OS only ..!!

Somebody please correct me if i am wrong..

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: Booting from USB, cannot get past step 4 in installation process

Its very simple ........you cannot NTFS file system to install bt. so use ext2 and set mount point as / .........thats it .......enjoy bt